' t h e n e w k i d '

I was the youngest out of 2. My oldest sibling, Noah, was 15. I was only 13. We both lived with our mom and dad, who were going through a divorce at the time just before my dad passed away from a drug overdose. I wasn't really surprised to hear about the drug overdose. My dad had been a drug addict since before I was born. My mom suffered from depression and anxiety bad. There was nothing she or the doctors could do about it. 

"I want more kids Joe"

My mom would say that to my dad every time she got lonely, saying that she wanted to experience a new life and new kids. Not that she hated us, but she thought it would be nice for me and Noah to have a new sibling. Me and Noah weren't having it. We would have to help out with the baby, mom would get too stressed and next thing you know, we were driving to the adoption center for children. But this time, she was serious.

"Mom, I don't think you having another baby is a good idea."

I stood next to Noah as I nodded in agreement but instead of her frowning and yelling at us about how capable she is of taking care of another child, she smiled and said

"I'm adopting. I had my tubes tied after Jade was born."

As she said those words my eyes widened. I didn't want my mom taking care of another child who didn't have our DNA. Nor did I want this child stressing her out even more.

"So you're willing to bring a complete stranger-child into our home? Come on mom, you're not even sure what you want anymore and you think that a child we barely know anything about is going to bring you "Love, joy, and happiness?!" You have children! Learn how to communicate and talk to us! Maybe then you'll learn to apprec--"

"Jade."

Noah said cutting me off. The room was silent as my mom got up and said

"We are adopting this child. End of story."

As she stormed downstairs into the kitchen. I didn't care how cute or small this child was going to be, but whenever it arrived in this household, I was going to let it know that it didn't belong here.

- t h e   n e x t   d a y -

"Noah get up we have school."

Even though Noah was the oldest, it always felt like I was in charge. We never really had any adults in our life. Our parents were always gone and me and Noah always looked out for each other.

As Noah got up a couple of minutes after I told him to do so, We both got dressed. As we walked downstairs to the kitchen, I realized there was a note left by our on the refrigerator.

Hey! I went to fill in the adoption papers for your new sibling. I'll be home by the time you get out of school. If i'm not home at the time, there's money in my drawer to order pizza or chicken. Love you guys! XOXO 

I had gotten over the situation that had happened last night, but the note really caught me off guard. I really thought that she would change her mind about adopting a child but she's really determined to take this child in. While in class, I couldn't take my mind off of this whole situation. It was starting to really get to me

- a f t e r  s c h o o l - 

"Mom's still not here."

Noah said looking really disappointed. He sat his backpack down and went to his room as I followed him.

"You OK?"

I asked trying not to sound like mom.

"I know that you don't want mom to adopt this kid, but ever since she started talking about it, she seems happier."

I looked at him with a blank expression on my face. We were supposed to hate this kid no matter how cute or small it was. But then I really thought about it. If this child was going to make mom happy then it was alright. Though I have been tricked into loving a child who wasn't here, I just really wanted what was best for my mom.

" I just don't want this kid to ruin our lives, but I promise I wont show any sign of jealousy about 'the new kid'." 

We fist bumped and went to bed after we ordered buffalo chicken.