Ranmaru [𝚃𝚘𝚘 𝙻𝚊𝚝𝚎]

Yeah I still exist don't mind me updating after half a year :')
The reader is non-binary/gender-neutral!

☾⚘☽

You smiled at Ranmaru, who could never manage to smile back. Genuinely, at least, it seemed. That day, it was rainy, the sky was grey and the scent of petrichor seeped off the sidewalks. It was just the way both of you liked it. The rain drenched your hair, which stuck to your head, but didn't seem to mat down Ranmaru's at all. 

You grabbed his wrist, laughing at his confused expression as you ran into a stairwell that lead to the roof of a fairly small building. When you reached the top, the clouds looked closer than they did from the ground, your eyes staring up into the sky, not caring about any rain that fell onto your face. Any rain that fell in between the two of you somehow encourage you to intertwine your fingers with his, and it didn't take any side glances to know his face was beet red. He probably would've averted your eyes or hidden his face in his hair even if you did look at him.

Still giggling at the boy's nervous antics, you stepped closer to him and pecked a small kiss on his cheek, his head immediately whipping around to look at you with an overtly embarrassed and surprised look on his face. 

"What was that for?" He asked, glancing down at your linked hands rather than directly at you. 

"Hmm, no reason!" You responded with an ounce of pep in your voice, smiling at him even if he couldn't see it.

His eyes trailed down from your hands to his feet and a small puddle forming near the toes of his shoes. "You didn't have to do it, then."

"Did you have a problem with it? I'm sorry," You mumbled, brows knitting together in confusion.

He never responded that day. And if you were being honest, you didn't think he ever would respond to it. You were wrong.

- - - 

Ranmaru cowered into a corner, resting a hand over his bandages, slowly becoming a rose in full bloom. The red soaked through the white and onto his hand, the sight incredibly unsettling, especially to you, who had been close to the boy.

You rushed over to him, dropping to your knees, looking into his eyes, slowly fading with his- hopefully not- last moments of light. You slipped your hand underneath his, the feeling of his warm blood bringing you to tears as he flinched from your hands touching the wound, despite your attempts to be as gentle as possible. 

"No, no no no, no, no, no," You repeated. Every time you spoke, it felt like a dagger being thrown into your chest, one after another, but you wouldn't die. Why did it have to be him? Why not both of you? You weren't ready to die, easily admittable, but at this point, you felt like it was the only thing you could do to stay with him.

You dug a hand through your hair, your finger ripping through the roots in frustration. There has to be something you could do to save him. You ripped off a sleeve from your shirt, tucking it under a couple of bandages to clog the bleeding, even if only slightly. 

Ranmaru opened his mouth to speak, "Y/n-"

"STOP!" You shouted in fear, squeezing your eyes shut, inadvertently forcing a few tears to fall from your eyelids. "Stop..." You repeated, much quieter than the first time. You leaned forward, resting your head on his shoulder, holding onto his hand for what you hoped could be comforting. In reality, his hand felt weak underneath yours, which shook with every sob. "Please just stay alive... please..."

Ranmaru's hand twitched, bringing his other hand and resting it on the back of your head, running his finger through your hair. "I don't think I can, Y/n. I don't want to leave you," He uttered, his voice cracking. He inhaled a shaky breath as he spoke out again, "Hey, Y/n? Do you remember that day when you brought me to that building?"

Your fingers involuntarily gripped his hand. "The day it was raining?"

He nodded, "And you definitely remember when you kissed me, right? I was scared to respond because I was too nervous."

"Too," you sniffed, pausing, "Too nervous?"

"To say that I've liked you," Ranmaru muttered, bringing up his fingers to hold your hand once more. "I'm sorry I had to tell you now, but I wanted to before it's... too late."

Despite not thinking it was possible, more tears streamed down your face as you were on the verge of screaming in unbearable emotional agony. "I think it is," you hiccuped, "It is too late." You tightly hugged the boy, suddenly never wanting to let him go, ever. 

He whispered, "I'm sorry, Y/n."

And then there was silence. 

His hand fell limp and his fingers fell from your hair. 

His warmth was fading.

The lights in his eyes were becoming dull. 

His face was pale and his lips hung open with the ghost of his last words. 

Your sobs stopped. Shock, fear, sadness, regret, anxiety, heartache, terror, hopelessness, and so many other things drowned you as if you were dropped into the ocean and immediately hit by a gigantic wave.

You reluctantly let go of him, sitting on your knees and looking at him. He looked peaceful as if he had merely fallen asleep with his eyes open, although you knew better than that to know that wasn't the case, but maybe you were helplessly trying to convince yourself. Leaning over to him once more, you unclipped his four-star pendant from his neck and hung it around your own, letting the charm fall onto your chest. 

Masking your misery, you put on a brave front, standing up and wiping excess tears with the one sleeve you still had, your eyes still stinging from the sobs prior. You wanted to sit down and sob again, but you wouldn't let yourself go like that. 

You straightened your posture, staring down at Ranmaru's necklace, knowing any memories with him would break your heart until you overcame your sadness, in which they would then mend your heart. 

"Survivors: Y/n L/n. Victims: Ranmaru Kageyama. Victim tape recorded."

☾⚘☽

Ahaha hey shawties- Sorry for coming back to this book after it was on an unintentional hiatus with HEAVY angst but I really couldn't think of anything else and I really liked this idea so, uh, sorry! I'll make up for it with some fluff though, I promise (unless I forget, then too bad I don't know lol).