Maple [𝚄𝚗𝚜𝚙𝚘𝚔𝚎𝚗]

Basic Info: Gender-neutral reader, comfort, slight angst
Warnings: Short mention of Midori, slight chapter 3-1B spoilers
Word Count: 956
Requester: n/a
Inspiration: n/a
Other: I kin Maple it's swag but also kinda not fun 👍

☾⚘☽

"Are you sure you don't mind me staying here?" Your voice rang out in the pink room.

Maple set a pair of porcelain teacups on the bright pink table in front of you, steam rising from the brim of the small cup. "I don't mind!" She replied blissfully, "After all, a friend is always good company, correct?"

You quirked an eyebrow. "You consider us friends already?"

"Are we not?" Maple's smile dropped, and her eyes began to flicker between green and blue, normally a cause for concern, as her programming was rather emotionally unstable, although that would be treated as a normal trait, considering the current given situation. 

"N- No, no, we are," You excused hurriedly, catching yourself on a stutter, "What I meant was I didn't know if you thought the same as me!" You chuckled anxiously, picking up your cup of tea for a mere second before burning your fingertips and setting it back down to cool.

Maple stood up from her seat at the table and returned moments later with a half-empty jar of honey and a teaspoon. "Oh, well I'm glad I just misunderstood you. You're very nice, Y/n, I enjoy having you as a friend!" She took the honey and stirred in just over a full teaspoon of honey into her tea, and as she set the spoon on the table, you proceeded to do the same. 

Maple began sipping on her tea, unbothered by the heat - or hers had cooled down quicker than yours had - while you sat uncomfortably in the silence, quietly tapping two of your finger on the edge of the table in an unidentifiable rhythm.

"Is there," You started, then cleared your throat due to a crack in your voice, "Is there anything you'd like to talk about?"

Maple shook her head. "I prefer to hear people talk rather than be the one talking myself. If you don't have anything to say, that's fine. I'm sure we'll think of something to talk about."

"Um, well," You looked around the completely pink room, somewhat trying to avoid eye contact, "I think it would be nice if you just sort of... Sat in silence. You know?"

Maple hummed and nodded her head in response, her brown hair swaying as she did so. She silently sipped at her tea again, the room silent aside from - as weird as it was - the beating of your own heart. You assumed it was from the silence as well as anxiety, which had very quickly built up after the unintentional threat of causing Maple's volatile emotions to activate. However, you wouldn't deny the other option, as unreliable you were reading your own emotions, you did feel pity for her, and albeit you were a little jealous of her affection toward Midori, but once again that could be blamed on something, being that he forced her to have feelings for him and was an overall bad person to have feelings for.

But maybe, you thought, you're overthinking things again. How many times have you told yourself way too much and thought way into things? Too many times. 

You wanted to say something, to interrupt the silence you had lost yourself in, but it looked like Maple was enjoying it and you didn't want to take her peace away. Instead of speaking, you simply picked up your cup of tea and took a sip from it, getting a small blob of honey in your mouth, as you did not stir it that well, the sweet taste almost overwhelming.

You set down the teacup again, failing to notice your hand shaking, or Maple's eyes on your hand. 

"You look stressed, Y/n," She breaks the silence and you mentally sigh in relief of not having to ruin the silence on your own. 

"I'm just thinking a little too much. That's all." You failed miserably at sounding relaxed or reassuring in response to her statement, beginning to regret replying at all. 

Maple set down her teacup as well, resting her hands in her lap and leaning forwards slightly as if studying your face. After looking at you and your now somewhat confused expression up and down for a few seconds, she sat back up and smiled. Before you could ask why she did that, she started speaking. "What are you thinking about, then? You're clearly bothered?"

You chuckled awkwardly as your hands fidgeted. "I dunno... I'm not that bothered though, I promise! I'm probably just deep in thought and I look like I'm frustrated, people tell me that happens a lot. I think."

"I think a lot too, you're fine, Y/n. I understand the feeling. Just tell me what you're thinking about while we're here, I'd love to hear about it!"

Your hands balled into fists under the table, your knuckles blanching. Maybe you were jealous. Except, it wasn't much jealousy more than it was anger towards Midori and how he had used her.

"I don't think you'd like it if I told you," You stated simply, uncurling your fingers in order to do your best to relax. "Plus, I kind of consider it personal so..." You trailed off, not really knowing where to go with the conversation.

"I get it." Maple speaks firmly, although it seemed as if she didn't truly understand, and she wanted to know the most about you that she could. "Is there anything else you wanted to talk about?"

You shook your head, denying every word in your head that you would leave unspoken between the two of you. You simply gave maple a smile instead and drank your tea, which was a bit too cool to your liking, and pretended not to mind. 

If only you could've said anything to her. 

☾⚘☽

It is way too late for me to be posting a chapter right now I'm legit surprised I could write complete sentences without messing up