nine ⸝⸝ accident

- September 11th, Tuesday.

(y/n) immediately noticed how Jean hadn't shown up to class

(y/n) immediately noticed how Jean hadn't shown up to class. At first, she thought that maybe he was just late, and she didn't even know why she cared, but she felt a bit worried when he didn't show after the state he was in last time she'd seen him.

The supply teacher, Mr. Dawk, raised his hand and cleared his throat to gain everyone's attention. Everyone looked at him expectantly and he briefly turned his body around to pick up a paper from his desk.

He clears his throat a second time. "Last night at around 11:35 PM, one of our best students: Marco Bodt, passed away..." Nile Dawk glances at his students, gauging their reactions.

(y/n)'s eyes slightly go wide and she turns to look at her friends. Eren, Mikasa, Armin, Connie and Sasha. They all looked shaken, their eyes glistening with tears.

She turns back to the supply teacher, who gulps and continues. "He accidentally drove into a lamp post, causing the car to go up in flames."

(y/n) raises her hand reluctantly. "Can I go to the restroom please?"

Nile looks at her with a sympathetic frown. "Yes, and if you need to talk, I'll be at my desk all day. Or, you could go to the guidance counselor."

(y/n) nods gratefully and speedwalks towards the door, down the halls and towards the bathroom. She didn't know if she should or shouldn't cry. She didn't even know Marco well.

But she knew that it's why Jean was so shaken. He must've been one of the first people that got called about it.

Once in a stall, (y/n) took out her phone and immediately dialed Jean's number. She chewed on her bottom lip as she heard the rings from her phone. She didn't even know what she'd say to him.

He picks up, and she hears him breathe heavily. She swallows the lump in her throat. "Jean," she says reluctantly.

"Yeah? What is it?" He asks her. (y/n) couldn't tell if he sounded a bit off or if he just sounded different through her phone.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes."

"Where are you?"

He sighs, and then he's silent for a bit. (y/n) hears shuffling on the other end. "I just slept in," he murmurs. "I'll be at school soon, so fuck off."

And then she hears the two beeps of the call being ended. She frowns, looking down at her phone screen, at Jean's contact number. Was it even worth calling him? Or had she just fucked up?

When she walked out of the stall, she found Mikasa waiting outside. "(y/n)," she murmurs, batting her eyelashes like she usually does when she's about to cry.

Mikasa rushes forward and hugs (y/n) immediately. Stunned and a bit taken aback, (y/n) pauses briefly before returning the embrace. Mikasa rarely ever hugged her, so she knew it was serious if she did.