Year 1 - Chapter 1

One of my closest friends sent me an idea for this on Pinterest and I'm obsessed! @aaliyahchancelloer This is her username :)

"Five," Ron says gloomily, "I'm sixth in our family to go to Hogwarts. You could say I've got a lot to live up to." He rolls his eyes as he continues, "Bill and Charlie have already left -- Bill was head boy and Charlie was captain of Quidditch. Now Percy's a prefect. Fred and George mess around a lot, but they still get good marks and everybody thinks they're really funny. Everyone expects me to do as well as the others, but if I do, it's no big deal, because they did it first. I'm going to change the way they see me though..." His eyes darken except for a malicious glint that crosses quickly and disappears just as fast.

"What are you going to do then?" Harry asks, sitting back with his arms crossed. He studies the boy sitting across from him thoroughly, practically seeing the dark aura that surrounds him as he sits there.

"Oh, you know... my own thing." He says vaguely, brushing off the question as if it were nothing. "Did you bring a pet of some sort?" He asks to change the subject, not that Harry cared though,  he wasn't exactly someone who'd care about others business too much.

"An owl. You?"

"A rat."

"Cool."

"Mhm."

They sit in awkward silence for a bit, and Ron suddenly feels the need to break the ice.

"So..." he starts, "What's it like to not have parents...?"

"Want me to call Voldemort so you can find out?"

"Can't say I wouldn't mind that. I'm surprised you call Voldemort by name."

"I don't see a reason not to, it's not like people don't say the name of any animal their afraid of or something."

"Yeah, my family is too scared to call him by his name, and I always thought they were being weird and pathetic." Harry nods and resorts to watching his feet as the compartment falls into silence once again. They stay like that for a good 5-10 minutes until the compartment door slides open and a smiling, dimpled woman asks, "Anything off the cart, dears?"

"I wish..." Ron grumbles. "If I could trade you a sandwich for some sweets, that would be much appreciated." He says slyly, staring innocently at the trolley lady. She chuckles to herself but isn't swayed.

"Sorry dear, only money." Harry gets up with a handful of galleons and buys a few of each to share with Ron. When he returns, he unloads the armful of treats onto the seat beside Ron and sits across from it, reaching over to grab some for himself.

"Dig in." He says looking over at Ron, who grins and helps himself to a pumpkin pasty. They sparsely chat as they stuff their faces, but eventually they get into a conversation about Ron's rat who was currently sleeping underneath some of the sweets. 

"I overheard Fred and George talking about a spell to turn him yellow, want to see if it really works?"

"Sure." Ron grabs the rat by it's tail and plops it onto his lap. He then goes to grab his wand from his bag and turns back to the still sleeping rat. As he clears his throat, ready to perform it, the compartment door opens again and a girl with poufy brown hair walks in. 

"Have any of you seen a toad?" She asks. "A boy named Neville's lost one, and it's just my luck that I've been the one selected to go find the blasted thing." Her tone was somehow both bossy and lazy at once, as she looks down at the boys with an unfriendly look. She spots Ron holding his wand over his rat and uses it as an opportunity to pester. "Are you doing magic? Well, let's see it then!" She plops down next to Harry and watches Ron spitefully.