Chapter 27

*Erin's POV*

"That was pretty easy." Jay and I had brought a suspect to prison and were just back on our way through the underground car park lot to get the car.
"Yeah." Jay took his radio out, but looked confused when the radio only rustled.
"50-21 George for 50-21 Squad." We got no answer.
"Let me try." I took my radio out but it was the same.
"This is 50-21 Lincoln. Can anyone hear me?" No one answered me either.
"Reception is gone too." Jay looked down to his phone.
"I don't like this. Let's just get out of here." Jay looked around but there weren't many people around.
I felt a blast and then everything went black.

*Jay's POV*

I cough because there was so much dust in the air when I tried to breathe.
When I slowly opened my eyes everything around me was broken down.
There were wall pieces around me and I had a high-pitched beep in my ear.
As soon as the noise in my ear was gone, I heard car alarms.
The dust slowly started to clear and I saw Erin sitting pinned up at a wall.
"Erin!" I called her name and I wasn't sure if she had moved her head a little or if I just wanted her to.
The adrenaline slowly left my body and I felt a sharp pain in my left arm.
When I looked down I could see my bone sticking out of my arm.
"Damn it." I gritted my teeth and tried to hold back the pain because I had to get to Erin.
When I heard a few noises from my radio I took it out immediately.
"This is 50-21 George. I need an ambulances to the prison. My partner is down." I was hoping so badly that someone heard me.
"Jay?" That was definitely Hailey.
"Upton! You need to get ambulances here." I drew in a sharp breath as my arm hit a piece of wall.
"I will but what happened?" Hailey sounded worried.
"I don't know for sure but looks like a bomb." I looked around but saw no other people.
"A bomb? You have to get out of there." Kim was on her radio aswell.
"What do you think I'm trying!" I hadn't meant to answer this loudly, but I was so close to Erin now that I saw that blood was spilled over her face and she wasn't moving.
"Alright. We're on our way." They stopped talking and I put my radio away so I could make my way faster through the debris.
"Erin? Erin!" I shook her shoulder and she groaned.
When I looked down at her I saw that a metal rod was being drilled through her thigh and the wound was not bleeding a little.
"My leg." Erin's voice was low, but I heard her.
"I know." I tried to tie the wound, but I could hardly get to her because pieces that had broken off the walls and ceiling were around her.
"This will hurt now." I had one hand on Erin's cheek.
"It does already." Erin gave me a wry smile.
"Take my hand and press it if necessary." I reached out my left hand because I needed the right hand to tie her leg off. As I tensed my arm muscles, blood ran out of the fracture and I really had to pull myself together not to groan in pain because I needed to be strong for both of us right now.
"Alright. That's it." Erin had beads of sweat on her forehead and looked like she was about to pass out.
"Er stay with me." She opened her eyes and I saw how she struggled to keep them open.
"Keep those pretty eyes open. The unit is on their way to get us, okay?" Erin nodded weakly and I knew that she was slowly using up her remaining strength.
"Does anything else hurt?" I tried to make her talk so she would stay awake.
"My head." Her lips formed the words more than I really heard them.
"Alright let me have a look." I leaned forward and saw that she was bleeding from the back of her head.
Next to her was a piece of bloody ceiling that apparently had hit her from above when it fell off.
"Looks like you need to see a doctor." Erin nodded again and then we heard Antonio over the radio.
"You have to get out of there! There's a second bomb!" I started to look around but I had no idea were the exit of this building was and saw no light.
"I don't think you guys understand. Everything has collapsed around us. We're not getting out of here on our own." It was a moment before Antonio answered again.
"Can you go somewhere save?" He asked.
"No. I can't move Erin because she has a rod in her leg." I looked down at Erin and saw her head fall forward and she passed out.
"Jay. You know as good as I do that when the next bomb goes off that the ceiling will crush you." Antonio's voice had turned quieter.
"Don't you think I know that?" I sat down next to Erin and put my good arm around her as if I could protect her like that.
"We're like ten minutes out and I don't know how long it will take us to find and defuse the bomb." Antonio's voice was calm and I knew that he was trying to calm me down.
"If these are my last minutes alive then I don't want to spend them talking about how cruel my death will be." I turned off my radio because I knew that he couldn't help us.
"I love you, Erin. Forever and ever, okay?" I kissed her on the forehead but didn't wake her up so she wouldn't have to feel the ceiling falling down on us.
I sat in silence for a while and then there was another explosion.