Chapter 35

Chapter 35

“So the English caught you by surprise, and your men sprang to your defence?” Robert grimaced as he nodded once more. Clarifying the entire tale he had spun. Artair speared his fingers through his hair as he paced back and forth before the doorway, whilst Kendrick leant against the wall beside the roaring fireplace. All of them thinking over the ramifications of the tale which had been told.

“Damn!”

Kendrick’s explosion of sound of a sudden had both the other males turning towards him in a flash of movement that had a groan coming quickly from Robert’s direction. Kendrick’s brow was furrowed and his expression showed something had just come to mind. “Are you going to enlighten us Kendrick? Or keep us in the dark?”

Shaking his head and muttering to himself Kendrick crossed to the door and strode out. Leaving Artair and Robert in a shock of stunned silence, awaiting Kendrick’s return…if he was going to return at all. “Is he always like that? Or only in front of company he would rather have out of his house?” Robert’s tone was wry but the lingering pain was still extremely evident in his voice. Artair, with his back to Robert could not completely keep the smug smile from teasing the edges of his lips. For no matter the dire situation, he was most definitely pleased, a little, with the pain Robert was in at that moment. It was not a good situation, but it was something he could take from this at least.

Before he could reply, however, there was a scuffle within the corridor. As he took a tentative step forward to see exactly what was happening, Alfred was catapulted through the doorway and just manages to stumble to a stop before he hits a well-placed chair near the centre of the room. Kendrick came through on the rear of Alfred’s entrance. His face set in an emotionless façade. Robert just looked bewildered as he looked from one male to another which towered above him. But Artair knew Kendrick would not do this without a reason and so he waited.

Kendrick did not disappoint as he knew he would not. Stepping just far enough through the door for him to shut it behind him with a resounding thump. Alfred was breathing heavily as he stared at each of them in turn. “What the devil is going on here?”

Widening his stance and crossing his arms, Kendrick struck a foreboding figure as he stood before the door and the only feasible exit for the large Englishman before him. For the window was probably too small for his large shoulders to fit through. Though if he turned a little it could probably be done. Artair shook his head in order to clear it and bring his thoughts back to the moment and the situation at hand.

“The bloody English are part of this problem, and you’re one of those bloody English so tell us, what in the name of all that’s holy is going on? Because if you cannot tell us, I will not be responsible for my actions next.” The words where quieter than a whisper yet rang out and echoed in the silence of the room. Kendrick was most definitely a force, but Artair knew if it really came down to it, he would be the one to gain any information they needed, if Kendrick’s way did not make him speak.