Mystery

The concerned man worked quickly as he continued to collect the medical supplies. Ares sat on the couch watching curiously. He didn't seem worried at all, despite the fact that the bandages he'd been wearing were quite soaked in blood. As gently as he could, he removed the existing bandages and placed them into a nearby waste bin. Ares grimaced as some of the gauze was sticking ever so slightly to the wound.

"How long ago did this happen? This seems pretty fresh." Vince questioned as he brought out some wet wipes and cleaned the area around the injury. "Tch...this is serious. Wait..." He muttered as he looked closer. "This was stitched? Who stitched this?"

"Dr. Loren." Ares answered, but then flinched and looked away. Oops. He'd released a little more information with that one. He hissed with pain as his new friend cleaned the area as best he could without irritating it further.

"Is...is this a bullet hole?" Vince continued, he just couldn't figure it out. Every time he turned around this guy had something new, something secret.

Ares growled lowly in pain, gripping the side of the couch, as the man finished cleaning up the area.

"Damn, this is bad. To be honest I was a med student a year or so ago. I got pretty far in my paramedic studies, but I just...I don't know, I guess I burned out on it all. I suppose its a good thing I made it as far as I did though." He said as he pulled out the suture kit from the medical box. "I never thought in a million years I would need to use this thing..." He laughed lightly.

Ares stiffened, growling a little under his breath.

"Easy now. You've gotta power through this okay? If I don't close this up you could be in bad shape pretty quick. I'm not gonna lie, this is probably gonna sting a bit."

The moment he picked up the small needle and needle holders, Ares kicked him back with his good leg. Vince crashed into the tv stand, bruising his shoulder and ribs. His body ached as he groaned and caught his breath.

"Nng...okay, so you don't like medical stuff." He complained as he sat forward again, rubbing his shoulders. "You've gotta let me do this. That or I need to call an ambulance and neither of us have the money to afford that." The man scolded in irritation as he stood before his guest and gave him a look.

Ares glared and growled.

"Geez what are you some kind of wolf boy? Man up and deal with it." Vince said harshly.

Ares was a bit surprised with the tone the guy used with him. He rebelled by attempting to stand. Vince glared and simply held out his pointer finger and poked the boys forehead, causing him to fall back to his seat on the cushion.

"Yeah no, not happening. You're gonna get hurt, plus you'll drip blood on my carpet."

Again the Hound glared and growled deeply within his chest. The man was unmoved.

"You can bar your teeth at me all you want, but you're not getting up until that leg is patched." He said matter of factly as he crossed his arms and remained standing. Of course, Vince didn't realize just who he was dealing with. For whatever reason, however, Ares didn't turn to his aggressive training.

"Here...I may have something for you." The man finally said with a sigh. He moved into the kitchen area and pulled a glass bottle out of the cabinet. He set it down with a light clank and poured some of its contents into a small glass.

"Technically I don't know how old you are but who's counting? Here." He offered as he handed the glass to the Hound. Ares accepted it and gave it a sniff, immediately bringing his hand up to his nose to cover it and grimace.

"You've got a strong sense of smell too huh? You're just like a dog. I can't help but wonder if you're some kind of crazy government experiment."

If only he knew.