𝐭𝐰𝐨

₊˚.༄

the next day, kaya woke up to see five new notifications on her phone. all of them being from olivia. she didn't know why but she smiled at the fact olivia had texted her but that smile soon faded away when she noticed it was about ethan.

₊˚.༄

oliviahey i was thinking maybe we could hang out so i can help u w english and u can tell me more abt ethan? :) heyyyyyhiiiiiiKAYA!!! wake upUGHHHHH

olivia
hey i was thinking maybe we could hang out so i can help u w english and u can tell me more abt ethan? :)
heyyyyy
hiiiiii
KAYA!!! wake up
UGHHHHH

kaya
you're being TOO LOUD
gm to u too miss
its a saturday why would i wanna study

olivia
ok then we can just talk abt ethan...?

kaya
i dont wanna do that EITHER

olivia
pleaseeeeeeeee
i'll get us ice cream
pretty pls

kaya
ok u win
i can't resist some ice cream

olivia
i'll get ur favorite :)
strawberry right?

kaya
u remember?

olivia
ofc i do

kaya
:)

olivia
ok so i'll come to ur place in an hour?

kaya
sure
see u soon

₊˚.༄

olivia remembers her favorite ice cream flavor, kaya thought to herself. the last time they had ice cream together, before they started hating each other, was years ago. and she still remembered that small detail. kaya brushed that thought away, she couldn't start liking olivia now, after all that time.

she brushed her teeth and took a quick shower, putting a yellow shirt and mom jeans on. she did her makeup as fast as she could, before olivia got there.

"why am i even worried about looking pretty?" she thought. it's not like she would put on makeup on a saturday morning to be around her friends so why did she care about looking presentable to olivia?

her thoughts were interrupted by the doorbell. she opened the door to see olivia standing there, looking as pretty as ever, with the strawberry ice cream she promised kaya.

"hi, stranger" olivia laughed "are you gonna invite me in or you'll just leave me standing here until the ice cream melts?" she joked.

"oh sorry, get in" kaya said, noticing she had been staring at olivia.

kaya led the way to her room, letting olivia in. she was feeling anxious about having olivia in her room, it was a long time ago since she had been there for the last time and the only times they ever saw each other was at school, but kaya always did her best to ignore olivia's existence.

"wow... your room looks dope" olivia said, analyzing everything surrounding her "it looks different, in a good way"

"thank you" kaya awkwardly replied.

olivia started looking through the pictures kaya had behind her bed and found an old picture of their kindergarten class. olivia and kaya were hugging each other in the picture. kaya couldn't remember the last time they had been that close. she tried getting olivia's attention to something else but olivia had already set her eyes on the picture. she was smiling.

"hey, kaya?" olivia softly said.

"yeah, what's up?" kaya nervously replied.

"why do you hate me so much?" olivia asked and kaya could hear the pain in her voice.

that question broke kaya's heart. she didn't know what to say, she didn't have an answer. why had she always been so mean to olivia? they were best friends and suddenly the next day became enemies. she couldn't remember how that change happened or why. or maybe she did know why, she just didn't want to admit it to herself because that meant she would have to face the feelings she had been scared of her entire life.

"i don't hate you, liv" kaya replied, with a sincere smile on her face.

"then why do you always push me away?" olivia hesitated to ask.

kaya wasn't expecting the subject to go on, she didn't want to talk about it anymore. she never knew how to talk about or demonstrate her feelings. olivia noticed she didn't felt comfortable with the question and tried changing the subject.

"sorry" olivia said reaching for kaya's hand. kaya let her take it.

"hi, darling. i just wanted to ask if you want anything from the- olivia?" kaya's mom opened the door to see olivia and kaya standing there awkwardly. kaya dropped olivia's hand as fast as she could.

"hi, ms. rodriguez" olivia shyly said.

"hi, liv. please just call me veronica. i haven't seen you around in so long" she reached olivia for a hug "well, i'll leave you girls to it. have fun"

"bye mom" kaya nervously said.

the door was closed. they looked back at each other.

"i thought that maybe we could watch ethan's favorite movie?" kaya quickly suggested, before olivia went back to the subject they were talking about before her mother got in.

"yeah, that sounds great with me" olivia smiled "what's his favorite movie?"

"it's a quiet place, have you seen it?" kaya excitedly smiled, it was one her favorite films as well.

"i've heard of it, horror movies scare me" olivia said

"well, that's the whole point, isn't it?" kaya noticed olivia felt uncomfortable by the idea of watching a horror movie "we don't have to watch it, i'll choose some other movie he likes" kaya smiled, comforting olivia.

"no, that's fine. if i feel scared i'll just grab your arm" olivia laughed.

kaya turned on the movie and they both got in bed together to watch it, sharing a blanket and the ice cream olivia had brought earlier. it felt nice and right. being around olivia made kaya feel peaceful. she didn't have to worry about anything else and for the first time in a long time, she felt genuine happiness. of course, kaya wouldn't admit that to olivia or even mention it to anyone.

₊˚.༄

time passed and they were almost finishing the movie. olivia would close her eyes during scary scenes, waiting for the jumpscare and kaya couldn't help but smile, she thought it was the cutest thing ever. in one of the scenes, olivia forgot to close her eyes and what appeared on the screen made she jump and grab kaya. kaya was caught by surprise, but quickly held olivia in her arms. she looked down at olivia and their eyes met. before they could even process what was happening, the doorbell rang.

"oh, shit" kaya backed off, leaving the bed and going straight downstairs.

alana was standing on her doorway. she sighed with relief it wasn't her other best friend standing there. but suddenly there he was, parking his car and joining alana.

"you look like you just saw a ghost" ethan said, getting inside the house and heading upstairs to kaya's room before she could even say anything.

alana followed him, leaving kaya there in shock, not knowing what to say.

"kaya? what the hell is olivia doing in your room?!" ethan shouted from upstairs.

"fuck" kaya whispered to herself.

₊˚.༄
author's note
hi besties! hope you're enjoying the book.
i'll try publishing chapter three soon.
see ya :)