Prologue

"Luke, over here!" Thalia hissed. Luke looked at Thalia. She was beaten and bloody, eyes wary, her black hair a tangled mess, her shield in her hand. "What happened, Thalia?" Thalia jerked her head towards the rubble. Luke frowned, focusing on it. He could see it moving. Luke put a finger on his lips and Thalia rolled her eyes. But, she was alert, because monsters.

Luke advanced closer, taking out his knife. With the tip of his shoe, he gently probed at the rubble and a girl flew out. Literally. She had blonde hair, and a hammer in her hand. Luke was fast but he could have sworn the girl would have hammered him if he hadn't moved when he had. She stopped, surveying them. That's when Luke realised something. She was tiny. "Gods!" He breathed out. "You can't be more than 7." The girl didn't say anything, still surveying them. Thalia said, "Luke, put the knife down. You're scaring her." He looked back to retort but found that Thalia had no shield in her hand; it was a bracelet once more. So he put the knife down and knelt till he was on the girl's level.

"Hi." Luke said softly. "What's your name?" The girl shook her head and protested, "Monsters!" Luke exchanged a look with Thalia. So she was a demigod. "No, we aren't. But we.." Luke paused, unable to figure out how to start explaining the term demigods to her. "We fight monsters."

The girl stopped struggling. "You fight monsters?" She asked, suspicious. "Yes we do." Thalia said. "What's your name?" The girl looked at both Luke and Thalia for a moment, then, apparently deciding it was safe to trust them, said, "Annabeth." Thalia bent down beside Luke. "That's a very pretty name, Annabeth. Where are your parents?" "I ran away." Annabeth said. 

Luke exchanged a look with Thalia again. "We can help you." Annabeth said, "You are not going to take me back to my parents?" Luke shook his head. "No. And here," he added, handing her his knife, "You can fight with a real weapon now. Deal?" "Deal." Annabeth said happily and Luke, Thalia and Annabeth headed off towards the sunset.