07.

THE LODGE WAS ALIVE WITH WORRIED chatter once Mike and Charlie burst through the door, panting with adrenaline

THE LODGE WAS ALIVE WITH WORRIED chatter once Mike and Charlie burst through the door, panting with adrenaline. Everyone had gathered in a tight circle in the great room, with a newly-returned Emily leading the conversation.

"...but that was right when the tower collapsed."

"Em!" Mike called, not hesitating to throw his arms around the girl and pull her into a firm hug. The Davis girl's arms snaked around the boy's torso in response. "You made it!"

"Yeah, barely," Chris commented to no one as they reunited.

"Oh God, Mike!" Emily breathed out in relief, quickly separating from the taller male.

"Are you okay? What was that scream we heard?" Charlie stepped forward, pressing her with a worried look. "And you said something about a tower collapsing?"

"Where's Matt?" Mike asked.

"That's what we're trying to figure out," Ashley intervened, answering for the frazzled Davis girl.

"Yeah. And there was this 'monster' that was chasing her," Chris added, making Charlie's blood run cold. A monster? On the mountain?

"She's all messed up guys," Mike spoke gently, moving to place his hands on the girl's forearms as he tried to calm her down. "Emily? Hey, Em?"

The Munroe's attempts were halted as frequent banging on glass made everyone shudder. "Whoa," Chris mumbled in shock as several heads turned.

"Who the fuck can that be?" Mike hissed.

"Josh?" Ashley suggested.

"Jess?" Chris tried with an sheepish look at Mike.

"It's not Jess," the taller boy denied with a soft voice, a trace of misty disappointment filtered in.

Charlie began shaking her head, anxiety making her heart patter restlessly within her chest. "I don't think that's one of ours. They would be calling for us, wouldn't they?"

"Yeah, like Em did," Sam agreed.

"Then who is it?" Chris wondered.

"We should check it out," Charlie concluded, her dark eyes sliding over to the Munroe boy again. "You still got that gun, ace?"

Mike didn't answer, instead shifting his hand into his pocket to reveal the glinting object from within the ruffled fabric.