08.

"HOW'D YOU KNOW TO SHOOT the barrel?" Mike inquired, eyes flickering to the Pruitt girl

She shrugged. "The guy said fire kills them. Where is he, Chris?" She briefly glanced over her shoulder at the blond as they pounded through the media room toward the basement.

"He...he's gone."

The basement erupted into cries of relief as everyone filtered in, Mike shutting the door with a heavy sigh.

"It's pretty bad out there right now," Chris informed everyone.

"Understatement of the year," Mike huffed.

"Where's the flamethrower guy?" Sam asked.

"Uh, yeah...h-he didn't..."

"He didn't make it? What happened?" Emily demanded with dread in her eyes.

"The thing, it...it tore him apart. Right in front me..."

"God..." Sam trailed off.

Mike tore away from the group, rapidly moving around the space with panic flared in his expression. "These all the doors?"

"Yeah," the Giddings girl replied.

"Are you sure?"

"What are you looking for?"

"Another way out," he responded gruffly, moving to the monitors lit up with security camera footage.

Sam immediately began to protest. "Mike...I really don't think that's a good idea. We should stay put, right here, until dawn. At least we're safe down here."

"Oh? Yeah?" The Munroe boy chuckled drily, his face devoid of any amusement. "All wrapped up like a little present with a bow on top for that thing to tear us apart on Christmas morning?"

"People will come for us, in the morning" the blonde continued diligently.

"You don't sound so sure."

Sam's arms stretched out defensively in front of her, her voice growing tight. "That is...what'll happen! Right, Em?"

The Davis girl grew tense under the new scrutiny. "Yeah, I mean...right?"

"Even if they don't, it's not safe to leave until morning," Charlie shook her head, eyes intently following Mike as he continued to scour the entire perimeter. "These things only hunt at night, it seems. If we need to find another way off the mountain, we can do it in daylight."