Chapter 6

Goku awoke to the sound of horns and people's cheers. He yawned, stretching his arms up over his head. Sunlight from the window warmed his skin, filling up the entire room. He followed the sound to the window, where he found Saiyans dancing in the streets outside the palace walls. Some stood in a circle, holding golden instruments that reminded him of tubas and trumpets. Others danced around like Vegeta did that one night in front of the royal court. The rest clapped along to the beat, cheering and chanting in Sadalan to the music. He picked up the lyrics as he listened in—Soli and Tor, celebration of new beginnings and old ancestors, hopes and dreams and what was then and what could be. He indulged in the sight for a few more minutes until his stomach growled at him to move. Goku laughed to himself, patting his bare belly.

The hot water felt good on his skin. He almost felt like humming to the tune outside the window as he put on his orange gi. Well rested, famished, not haunted by dreams nor memories, ready to take on the day—Goku hadn't felt like this in what felt like forever. Definitely hadn't felt like this since he first arrived to the planet. It was wonderful to not go anywhere, do anything or be with anyone the night before. Instead, he slept, clearly for hours as it was a bright, cloudless day outside, and no one bugged him. No one checked up on him, and if they did, they were very quiet about it.

He bounded out of the room for the royal chambers. There was a guard there of course, who looked at him all wide-eyed and Goku laughed at him, waving him away. He knew where to go by now, and he didn't want or need the help. It felt good being in control, knowing what to do, knowing where he was, what was being said. The old discomfort was gone. Now he felt ready to take on the world, his blood itching for a spar, and underneath that, the hope of getting a good one out of Vegeta. Goku did owe the man a good fight. He promised Vegeta after all.

Goku pushed open the golden double doors, where he found the familiar sight of the royal family at the lavish large table with the King at the head and Chikora to one side. Beside her, the twins ate their meal, their heads hanging low. But there was an empty seat on the other side of the King, the place Vegeta usually took, and Goku frowned for a brief moment at the sight, then let it go. Vegeta being late was rare but not an anomaly.

The King stopped mid-sentence with his daughter as he entered, and the palpable confusion and shock on his face caused Goku to frown even deeper. "Dear Soli," the King said, "you've awaken."

"Uh, yeah?" Goku took a seat across from the twins, next to the empty chair. "Sorry I missed last night's festivities."

"You missed nothing important. Tonight matters most."

"I heard! Everyone's cheering outside like crazy."

"As to be expected. It is our high holy day and the last in our celebration week of Soli."

Goku leaned out of the way as servants brought piles of food before him. "That's where you celebrate memories and stuff, right?"

"Yes, that's correct. Would you like to participate in it?"

"Sure! I dunno if you know this, but I actually got all my memories back." He allowed a smirk to rise on his face as he looked right at the twins. "And I understand the language now too." Their deep blush in response felt justified.

Chikora gasped and clapped her hands together. "Uzko du Soli, that is wonderful to hear!"

Goku looked at her, an awkward chuckle rising out of him. "Well, I can't actually say anything to anyone." He scratched the back of his head. "But at least I know what everyone's saying now!"

"Absolutely," she said. "I have a rudimentary language book for you to use whenever you wish."

"That'd be great! Thanks Chikora."