1

Your love leaves a mark, but never a scar. You're always gonna be the other half of my heart. - Half-hearted by Hands Like Houses

Kaiya had known this day was coming. It was undoubtedly inevitable.

She knew this day would come the moment she sat down for her classification evaluation that day after her 18th birthday.

It was much like taking a dna test to determine your long last father.

They confirmed your classification with bloodwork. Apparently, Dominant, Switches, and Submissives all slightly different dna make-ups that didn't develop until around the age of seventeen and a half. Regular folk had no idea how it worked, except for government officials and scientists. They did their best to teach the basics in biology classes and that always went about as well as one would expect.

This was how the system had worked all over the world since just about the beggining of time.

The system worked as long you looked over the the clear disenfranchisement of submissives in society.

So, yes. Kaiya had seen this coming. She knew that day that she would classified as a submissive. She had never been as boisterous as her dominant siblings. Kaiya knew she would have to work nearly triple as hard to get what she wanted in life. Kaiya knew eventually the government would essentially get bored of leaving submissives to their own devices, and they'd start to crack down again. It was a direct result of the disproportionately conservative politicians that were currently in office.

Her baby brother had been the one to catch the news report. She hadn't even really been taking particular attention to the television while she spent some much needed time with her family, eating dinner.

'Breaking News: Congress passes new bill stating submissives 18-26 must be mated to a dominant within the next six months, effective immediately. It has no quite been relayed what consequences one might face if non-compliant.'

Valentine nudges the sibling closes to him and points toward the television with a look of concern on his face. Micah, the oldest, bats her youngest brother's hand away from her shoulder. She glanced over at him with a slight sneer, mildly pissed about her eating being interrupted. "What do you want, Val?" Valentine silently points in the direction his eyes have been glued.

Just at the same time Micah makes the effort to pay attention, the sibling's parents notice the commotion.

A sharp gasp is heard causing the rest of the family, except for one, to look up at the T.V. "Oh no, I knew this would happen." Ames, the second oldest stated as he sat his plate aside. His steak and potatoes long forgotten.

His mother looked at him curiously, "What do you mean? Why didn't you tell us?" His mother's dark growl of a voice forced him to turn away from her slightly, "Professor Murillo might of mentioned it a few weeks ago in my constitutional law class." He whimpered as his mother growled at him, "And you didn't think to tell your father and I?" Ames pouted, trying to slip behind Valentine to interrupt his mother's line of sight, "I didn't want to scare her." Ames gestures to the last member of the family.

The only one who still hasn't looked up from her food, the only one in the family that this new law really affects.

Kaiya frowns as she chewed. She's getting that feeling again. That feeling that there are people staring at her. As an unmated submissive she's used to it for the most part. Dominants always watching her to be the first to steady her if she trips. Or the occasional appraisal from a switch looking to try new things. This feeling was different, however. Because she's at home with her family, and they are undoubtedly talking about her.