Chapter 4: Hunt For Pokémon & Self Doubts

The two Pokémon trainers had not expected the Crown Tundra to be as cold as it really was. Bede suggested they get a second pair of jackets, but then Y/N had the brilliant idea to send out Volcarona and Centiskorch, managing to solve the coldness issue. Y/N had also made no effort to give even a small clue to what Pokémon they thought Bede would be interested in.
"Come on, at least give me a hint!"
"Ok fine, your hint is that it's a Fairy type."
"Of course it's a Fairy type, there's 43 Fairy type Pokémon in Galar, and only one of those Pokémon specifically live here."
"Did Opal make you look into every single Fairy type Pokémon?"
"Yes. And it was absolute torture. Although I haven't seen every Fairy type. Some are too rare for a mere Gym leader to see. Despite my incomparable skills, my chances of seeing one of them are lower than my chance of being with... Never mind."

The two walked silently for a lot of the way, unsure on what to talk about. 

"Oh my Arceus Bede, it's a Beldum! It's one of the Pokémon I was telling you about!" Y/N cried out cheerfully, pointing to a floating Steel/Psychic type Pokémon. "Do you know what gender it is?" Bede asked. He had to admit, the Pokémon looked cool. However he kept his distance, having most of his team at a type disadvantage against it. "Beldum's evolution line doesn't actually have genders. They're like a Shedinja!" Y/N replied. Bede looked at Y/N with a questionable look, not knowing what the heck a Shedinja was. "Okay, Shedinja evolves from Nincada, but only when there's a spare slot in your party. It's a Bug/Ghost type, making it an extremely scary Pokémon for any Psychic type." Y/N continued to talk about what was most likely every single fact about Shedinja they could recite, and Bede just stared at them, getting lost in the moment. As much as he hated them during the Gym challenge, hearing them talk about even a single Pokémon that belonged to their type specialty, it was almost soothing. 

"So that's basically a light summary of Shedinja." Y/N said, interrupting Bede's slight 'trance'. "How the actual hell do you know so much about one Pokémon? It's genuinely amazing." Bede asked Y/N. Their face instantly turned red, flustered. "Piers said he considered getting me one for my first Pokémon, it being a Ghost type, so I figured I'd look into it!" They replied, although Bede could tell they were in fact lying. It was very clear to anyone that they just really liked Bug types. "So, we're right at the cave entrance, we're almost at the Pokémon!" Y/N said, quickly changing the subject as they walked into the cave with Bede following. They called Volcarona back into her Pokeball, leaving just Centiskorch following the pair of trainers. They took out their map after having it in their bag while they explained a 'light summary' of Shedinja. As Y/N navigated the cave, Bede couldn't help but admire them. Their soft black shoulder length hair, crystal blue eyes, and that white streak in their hair that always managed to pop out of their hair. Bede quickly shook himself out of the trance that he had been in. Reminding himself of what Piers had said. "Hop has a higher chance with Y/N than you, and he likes Marnie." 

No matter how hard Bede tried to forget those words, he couldn't. They were true words regardless. Hop had become a second best friend to Y/N. He, Marnie, and Y/N were inseparable when they were together. Plus Hop didn't bully Y/N constantly during their Gym challenge. The only thing Bede did was insult them, never showing even an inch of kindness. 

"Bede? Are you okay?" Y/N asked. Bede snapped back to reality. Y/N was looking at Bede with a concerned look on their face. Bede tried to say he was fine, but the words weren't able to come out. Suddenly, Y/N's arms were wrapping around him in a hug. What Bede didn't realize was that he'd staring crying while he was remembering all he said to Y/N during the Gym challenge. "Bede, what's wrong?" Y/N asked Bede.  

"How do you act like it didn't happen?" 

"What?"

"The Gym challenge, Y/N! All I did was say awful things to you, never even showing a small fraction of kindness! And now here we are, you comforting me! How do you act like all those things I did and said didn't happen?"

Y/N paused for a moment, taking in and thinking about what Bede had said. 

"I don't act like it didn't happen, Bede. It happened in the past, nothing can change it. But I gave you a second chance after it. Everyone deserves a one, you're not an exception. And you've changed. You're not the boy you were during the Gym challenge."

"I wouldn't be too sure about that."

"Really? Okay, let's review. During the Gym challenge, you had all Psychic type Pokémon, was a jerk to everyone around you, and nobody minus your Pokémon considered you a friend. Now, you have all Fairy type Pokémon, isn't a jerk to everyone around you, and someone does consider you a friend."

"For someone to consider me a friend, they'd have to be extremely stupid, Y/N."

"I don't think the current Champion of the Galar region is stupid."

"Y/N..."

"You've changed Bede, and I consider you a friend for it now. You can't get rid of me, I'm like a Yamper."

Before Bede was able to reply, Y/N suddenly gasped and started jumping up and down excitedly.

"Bede, that's a Carbink, the Fairy Pokémon I was talking to you about!" 

Editors note: Super sorry it took me longer than normal to update this. School's been kinda hectic and I didn't know how to do this chapter. But I have a ton of ideas now and I know exactly what I'm gonna do for the next few chapters! Cya in the next chapter!