three

TRIGGER WARNING: suicide, mentioned/implied self-harm

Izuku had thought he was laying low. He thought he had done a good job of staying out of his teachers analyzing eyes. He stayed quiet, never daring to raise his hand and answer a question despite knowing the answer. He kept to himself, going back to the dorms for his lunch period and ignoring his... friends attempts to hang out. He strayed behind his classmates during team exercises, letting them take control of the situation.

The day after he feigned sick and skipped school, he attended class. It was odd. People seemed to stray towards this worlds Izuku. It left him speechless, and feeling daft on what to do. He hated it.

(He hated that he never had this).

Izuku made the decision to distance himself from them, from everyone. If someone talked to him, he gave short replies. If he was called on to answer a question, he'd do just that and moved on. He tried to have as little attention on him as possible.

He especially tried to stray away from Todoroki. The boy with heterochromic eyes seemed to watch him closely, always observing. He didn't say much, but Izuku could tell that the dual-quirked user knew something was up. He actively tried to comfort Izuku, offering him cold soba and asking to study together. Izuku denied time and time again because he didn't like that those eyes, so open, so vulnerable to Izuku only made him want to spill out everything that's been going on.

The third night in this world, he decided to do some research. This world seemed to be a little over year ahead than Izuku's. There was a lot to catch up on: politics, heroes, his classmates. The only thing he didn't look into was himself and All Might. He didn't want to know anything about this worlds Izuku.

Because he just knew that in every way, shape, and form, this worlds Izuku was so much better than him. And he wouldn't be able to bear the truth that he refuses to acknowledge.

But the research all in all helped him out. He was able to keep up with his classmates conversations if he was ever brought into them. He would give his best answer and then see himself out of it. It helped with his studies as well.

What he couldn't understand, though, was this worlds difference. He knows it's a year ahead, but to what extent has the world changed? Does the change go further back from before he was born? Is the change only revolving around his life? And why did only he transferred here?

(He knows the change, or at least part of it. He doesn't acknowledge it).

There's many things Izuku doesn't understand.

Including the people around him.

Even though Izuku tried to distance himself from his classmates, he still found himself enjoying his time in this world. Because Bakugou is just so... nice. He's still his angry, scowling self but there was so much kindness in his eyes. He seems happy. Izuku is glad, despite the bitter cold that sweeps over him.

And his classmates are amazing too. They talk to him, look to him for answers that he doesn't have. And when he falls short of those answers, they accept it with a kind smile. Uraraka and Tenya stick around him the most, along with Todoroki and their constant chatter is a nice noise rather than the yelling and teasing he had been so accustomed to.

The whole class' dynamic is perfect. They all look out for each other and despite having their own little cliques, everyone is still so tight knit. They all truly care for each other, even for Izuku.