five

Inko Midoriya is all heart; there is not a single bad bone resides in her body. However, when it comes to her son, it's clear that her heart hardens and her bones become solid, sharp knives that are ready to dig into anyone who dares harm her baby.

And that's why Nedzu is currently being hounded by her daggers, although full of tears, still plenty dangerous. Shouta shudders still, despite the glare not even being directed towards him.

"Where the hell is my son?" Inko spits out ruthlessly, teeth bared and ready to bite.

"Please Ms. Midoriya, follow me. Izuku was brought into the infirmary," Nedzu walks down the hallway, and Inko follows quickly behind his trail.

It's silent. Eerily so. Inko's footsteps thunder onto the ground, clapping loudly into Shouta's ears. The weight of it makes him flinch.

She still doesn't know.

"Why is he in the infirmary? I know he gets hurt quite a lot, being a hero in training and all... but this... this is different from all the other times, isn't it? Please, tell me, why is it different?" Inko finally asks and Shouta can't stand it.

He can't stand the quiver in her lips and the tremble in her voice; he can't stand the wet, big green eyes that remind him too much of Izuku's— the boy who he had failed.

"You're right, Ms. Midoriya. Mother's always are, aren't they?" Nedzu muses with a hum.

"Earlier today, Izuku... he attempted to commit suicide."

It was the most professional way of saying it, with doctor jargon rather than harsh words like "kill". But it still hit Shouta with a cold, biting air. The freezing temperature fills his lungs, icing over his chest.

Inko Midoriya stops walking.

"He... he what?"

Shouta looks away.

"I know it's... not easy to process. But earlier today, Izuku tried to... jump off the roof. Shouta here was the one who stopped him," Nedzu gestures to Shouta but Inko's gaze doesn't even do much as flicker towards him. She stares blankly, green eyes wide and unblinking.

(Shouta tries to ignore how familiar they are, empty and glassy).

(He fails).

"No no," Inko shook her head, "my baby wouldn't do that."

Shouta clenches his jaw; his teeth dig into his tongue and he bites. Metal. It tastes like metal.
He swallows.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Midoriya," Shouta's voice cracks, and though he's always prided himself on being a composed man, he can't help but let out a sob as the green-haired woman falls into his arms.

"You've got it all wrong. Izuku... my baby wouldn't ever... he... the bullies are gone now, he shouldn't..."

Shouta feels the words on his chest as she cries into his shirt, and they seep through his shirt. He tightens his grip around her shaking frame(or is it him who trembles? he can't tell).
And it's too much, all so much, and it almost feels like losing Oboro, one of his dearest friends, all over again. 

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry," Shouta chokes out, because really, what else can he say? What can he do to mend the broken heart of a mother?

He can't do anything.

(He never can).

Inko pulls away, wipes her tears with shaking hands, and straightens up. "Take me to my son."

-

Izuku can feel his mom's stare on him. He only woke up three minutes ago, and he hasn't even opened his eyes yet, but he knows, without a doubt in his mind, that his mom is right next to him.