10 | Lucky & Jealous

Chapter Ten: Lucky & Jealous

"diving off of the deep end,
I can't think of a reason,"
~ conan gray

━━━━༻❁༺━━━━

   I left the science building on Wednesday at three in the afternoon, yawning uncontrollably before smiling to myself. 

   My general chemistry midterm had just finished and killed me in five different ways. But I thankfully managed to finish everything on time and look over my answers before handing it in.

   I stuffed my hands into my long, beige wool coat, glancing around the sidewalk so I wouldn't accidentally bump into someone. It was the middle of October, but the weather was dropping quickly, which I hated.

   With a sigh, I tilted my head up and walked in the direction where my dorm building was. But just as I was about pull my headphones out of my school bag, every bone in my body stiffened when I saw a familiar head of midnight black hair.

   Adrianna.

   I gaped, frozen in spot as my glossy eyes focused on Adrianna. Her smooth hair was flying with the wind at the end of the sidewalk, her body angled toward me. I could barely see her eyes because it was hidden from her hair, but it was her. It had to be her.

   With a gasp for air, I ran to the opposite side of the wide sidewalk and dropped my head as my feet rushingly took me to my dorm. It wasn't her. She was dead. I knew this, I knew this.

   Why did it feel like my insides were being ripped from my chest, though?

   Within a few minutes, I was in front of my building, and I bent down, hands on knees as I sighed in relief. Although, my stinging nose was a reminder of what I imagined.

   Oh, Clove. My little flower. Don't you miss me? Or are you planning on replacing me?

   A hand dropped on my shoulder suddenly, and I almost screamed as I spun on my heel, instantly reacting by rolling my fingers into a fist before punching out.

   I knew when they collided with a soft skin, that I hit the abdomen. The sound of someone grunting was also an indication before I stepped back, putting my arms out in front of me to defend myself.

   That was, until I noticed who had touched me in the first place.

   "G-Griffin?" I squeaked when my eyes met his light green ones.

   He gave a wobbly smile as he held his stomach with a hand. "Hey, Clo. Nice to know you still have a good punch," he chuckled, slowly straightening his back but still holding onto his stomach.

   My arms dropped, but I didn't even bother to hide my gaping mouth. "How... what..."

   With an awkward chuckle, he lifted his hand and brushed his fingers through his light brown hair—which almost appeared blond in the sunlight. It looked just as I remembered—medium length, cut in a curtain hairstyle.

   He was slim, with just a few inches of height on me. And his eyes were mesmerizing as always, mostly because of his dark lashes. Griffin was adorable and hot at the same time, but he was also someone I hurt.

   Look at you, Clove. You have a running streak on hurting people.

   I closed my eyes and rubbed my forehead. "Griff, what... what are you doing here?"

   "Seriously?" He winced, staring at the floor. "I bumped into your mom at the grocery store yesterday. She said you were in town, but you didn't even..." He shook his head, stopping himself from continuing. "I mentioned I wanted to visit you, and she told me your dorm."