Everything but Festive

Birds chirped above her head, children's laughter echoing through the streets and the soft wind caressing her (y/h/c) wavy hair. Everything was exactly the same as when (y/n) was still looking for Natalie, unaware of what she was about to witness. But now, everything felt different. It was like standing behind a glass wall, only muffled and indistinct voices and sounds being able to be perceived.

How? ,she thought, tears forming in the corner of her eyes again. How should I stay silent with this? lying to him? The thought of that made her heart ache. Never could she flat-out lie to him. Not Sinclair. Not him. He doesn't deserve this.

(y/n) walked a couple of meters in front, Natalie and Richard behind. They were whisper-arguing about something but (y/n) was too agitated to pick out what exactly they were talking about.

Eventually they arrived back at the estate.

Jazz music could be heard from inside. The door was unlocked. Silently, they entered the front door and followed the many voices that came from the back of the house. Reaching the densely overgrown winter garden, (y/n) saw Sinclair standing there. His gaze directed towards the backyard, watching his nephews and nieces running and playing around while the adults talked and laughed outside. They were standing on one spot, giggling as they sipped their champagne.

He turned around as he heard their approach, breathing easily as he fell Natalie into the arms. "You can't imagine how relieved I am that you're alright", Sinclair said, nestling his head into the crook of her neck. Natalie stroked his back, trying her best to act as if nothing happened "Sorry Sinclair...we... talked too much and forgot about the time.". (y/n) rolled her eyes in annoyance, trying to surpress it, but Sinclair noticed the uncertainty in her voice anyway. "You sure everything alright?", he asked worriedly, releasing himself from the hug. Natalie nodded. He smiled weakly, then looked to (y/n), gratitude shaping his handsome features "and thank you so much (y/n), for finding her and easing my nerves." He said.

It was then that he noticed Richard standing a little further behind them. He smiled and walked in between Natalie and (y/n), reaching out his hand.  "And you must be the brother, if I assume right?"

"Indeed I am.", he responded, shaking his hand. "How about we join the others?", Sinclair proposed, making a hand movement towards the backyard "I'm sure they are eager to finally see the birthday girl."

"Yes, surely.", Natalie fake-smiled, giving him a kiss on the cheek before disappearing with Richard outside. Just as (y/n) wanted to go after them Sinclair grabbed her hand, leading her to stop in motion. She looked at him with a questionable look. "Is really everything alright?"he asked softly.

Natalie's cheating on you. That's what she was longing to say but she knew she couldn't, not now. Not yet. "Yes, really.", she lied, a weak smile forming her lips "Come, let's join the others."

Sinclair sighed, giving in and not asking any further. Tacitly, they made their way to the others.

Arriving at the group of people, standard questions were asked like „Oh so that's your brother?" or „How come you grow up separately?". Both answered with such a stagy grin, that (y/n) had enough already, telling everyone that she goes inside to arrange the food.
She didn't notice Sinclair following her with his gaze, worried about her.

(y/n) went inside and into the kitchen, taking the turkey out of the oven and placing it in the middle of the table. Then she put out the side dishes.
After a quick glance outside she noticed that Natalie and Richard were not with the others anymore, instead, they stood by the river talking about something they both clearly didn't want to talk about. She watched how Natalie roughly grabbed him by the arm and pulled him into the stone cellar close to the water.

„I'm sure they talk about me."

(y/n) turned around at the deep voice that suddenly sounded. Sinclair leaned against the door frame and had followed her gaze towards his wife and her brother. She hasn't notice his approach.

„Oh, Sinclair.", she said. „Sorry I didn't notice you standing there.". (y/n) avoided eye contact, pretending to be occupied with placing the cutlery onto the table.

„There is something (y/n).", Sinclair carried on. „You think so?", she responded as indifferently as she could, her heart beating faster.
„Please (y/n)", his voice was more collected this time. He walked over to her and reached for her hand, guiding her into his arms. „I know that something is bothering you.", he said softly. (y/n) reddened.

It was then that a loud and high-pitched voice interrupted their exchange, causing him to suddenly release from the hug, obviously embarrassed. „Uncle Sinclair!!", a little girl appeared next to him and tugged at his blazer „I'm hungryy", she pouted. It was his niece. She was about 6 years old and wore a pink floral dress, her blond hair divided in two cute little braids.

He smiled at her and squatted down, speaking to her on eye level. „You are right, Clara. We should absolutely start with the food. How about you go and tell the others?"

She nodded eagerly and disappeared right away. Sinclair followed her a bit with his gaze before he turned around again, facing (y/n).„Would it be possible if you could stay a bit longer after the party?", he questioned, tilting his head and looking at her with his hazel eyes „I could take you on my boat snd show you around...then we can talk a bit." a gentle smile formed his lips.

„I don't know, Sinclair..."
I know I can't bear lying to him any more when I keep being alone with him, she thought, fighting the urge to say yes.

„Please?", he added quietly. They observed people chatting growing louder and footsteps coming closer and closer from outside.

(y/n) sighed, „Fine.", she finally said, right before everyone came in, taking their seats. No sign of Natalie or Richard. of course.

"I will call them, you get the drinks.", (y/n) said before Sinclair could say a word. He just smiled nodded at her in silence, doing as she said.

Quickly, she made her way over to the stone cellar where she had seen Natalie and Richard walking in before, she opened the door. Only to find them basically on top of each other.

„You can't be serious.", (y/n) was pissed. „Can't you guys keep your hands by yourself for a second?...bloody hell.", the last part was s muttering to herself. For a moment, (y/n) just thought about telling Sinclair everything. Why should I even come to their defence? I don't owe her anything honestly.

„(y/ - (y/n) this isn't what it looks li-.", Natalie was trying to explain but (y/n) interrupted her. „Keep your dirty reasonings by yourself Nats, I'm just here to tell you that everyone's waiting inside for you.", with that she left the door open and walked back, not waiting for them.

She arrived back at the winter garden and sat down onto one of the seats next to Sinclair, still in a grumpy mood. He just looked at her curiously, staying silent this time. He just smiled and placed a hand on her back, caressing it gently as an attempt to soothe her. It worked.
The sudden touch made her hesitate at first but she calmed down soon after, giving in to his hand at her bare back.

Natalie and Richard joined seconds after, sitting down onto the seats at Sinclair's other side, leading Sinclair to withdraw his hand again.

Dinner started, as did all the superficial conversations and small talks. (y/n) mainly remained silent, only listening to the important parts of the conversation, that mostly contained Sinclair uttering about everything and anything.