Eleven

"Her beauty dulled the stars, as if to beg the heavens to crumple up the sky and start again."

~

The sun rose. Golden tendrils peeked out from behind the horizon, coyly at first, but gradually gaining courage and spreading their warmth through the sky, driving away the darkness. She stood at the riverbank, barefoot, her hair tumbling down to her waist. The mud soothed her toes and the soles of her feet as she dug them into the moist soil, and the current dashed against the rocks, sending up occasional sprays that dampened her attire.

Athena stared at the untamed, terrifying yet beautiful water, not knowing how long she stood there, it could have been five minutes or fifty. Finally, closing her eyes, she concentrated.

The forest was alive.

The birds were chirruping softly as they shuffled around in their nests, before she heard every flap of their wings as they rose to greet the dawn. Further off, a deer strode across the forest floor, tapping its feet nervously as it looked around every now and then. Closer by, she could hear Daniel's soft breathing. She could almost picturing him without turning around, his eyes closed, clothes covered in grass, chest rising and falling gently.

Finally, her focus shifted to the river. She squeezed her eyes together harder, her eyebrows scrunching up in concentration as she shut out every noise, every movement, everything that existed, the water being the sole focus of her attention.

A single leaf crunched behind her.

She spun around, hand reaching for her sword but not fast enough as she met Daniel's eyes, before a dagger pressed lightly against her throat and another against her stomach.

"Too late, you're dead," he remarked.

He backed off and she rubbed her eyes tiredly. "I'm sorry. I was just trying-"

"-what you try every morning," he finished for her, before sheathing his daggers. "We should start moving soon."

Athena watched as he walked off before returning with meat and two loaves of bread. Handing her one, he sat down beside her. She dipped her feet in the tumultuous current, enjoying the feel of cold water flowing between her toes as she bit into the bread.

It was a month's road to Mumora, a rough road no less. They had enough supplies to last them a week, and had spent the first night outside, taking turns sleeping and keeping watch, for the nearest human settlements were still miles off.

"The nearest town is Redwater," Daniel spoke up. "It's four hundred miles from here, about a week's walk for us. We'll find lodging and supplies there."

"And what after that?" Athena asked.

He sighed, his lips pressing into a thin line. She waited for him to speak. "The Myrefall forest."

Her eyes widened. "Is there no other way?"

He sighed and shook his head.

The Myrefall forest stood outside Roselea. Before the war it had been an enchantingly beautiful place. Athena had read about how the trees stood tall and strong, as they had since centuries before, about bubbling brooks and chattering fauna, and how the light of the sun would bathe the trees and forest floor.

All that had changed during the war, when Prince Elijah had marched five hundred Immortals into the forest to meet six covens of witches advancing to Roselea in battle. The slaughter had been quick and swift.

She watched as he stared at the water. "These roads are dangerous. And the villages and towns no less so." He clenched his jaw. "But not more dangerous than that forest. The ground is cursed, the power of seventy eight slaughtered witches lingers there. It draws people in, hypnotizes them. I have stumbled over the bones of countless men, Princess. Once they're lost in there, they're lost forever."

She raised her brow at his words. Something that he had said bothered her. "Why were you in Roselea, Daniel?"

He turned his head to face her, immediately regretting what he had said. She had caught on to his words, after all, she was smart. He fought to keep a straight face, appalled at his own stupidity.

"What do you mean?" he managed.

"You've been to Myrefall," she pressed. "You've taken this road before, haven't you? Why did you go to Roselea?"

Daniel opened his mouth to speak, but he paused, before he spoke, choosing each word carefully.

"I told you I was on a quest to find allies these past six months," he finally said. "When the king first sighted the ravens, he sent out elves far and wide."

"Where did you travel to?"

"I took the road to Alynthi and Zindara, and then made my way back to Arlana through Roselea."

Athena nodded. "The last time I asked you if your quest was successful, you said yes and no. What did you mean?"

He paused again for a moment.

"Most kingdoms of men fought with the elves and the Immortals during the war, Alynthi and Zindara included. When they heard of the ravens, their lords again swore to pledge their armies if the enemy really does exist."

"And what of Roselea?"

Daniel hesitated. Her striking blue eyes met his. He let his gaze travel to her hair, pulled back save for a few loose strands flying about in the breeze. His eyes moved down her familiar features, and then back up to meet hers, presently widened with curiosity.

Tell Lord Cadeyrn I will offer him my help, and that my forces will be at his disposal, if he can promise me but one thing.

He looked away before he stood up, dusting crumbs off his clothes. "We should start moving."

She reached out to grab his wrist gently. "You didn't answer."

"I will, some other time," Daniel replied. "The sun's getting high. We've been sitting here for far too long." Gently removing his hand from her grasp, he motioned to her with his head.

"Come on," he said. 'We have to travel atleast fifty miles by nightfall. Start moving, and keep your eyes and ears open, Princess."

Tearing his gaze away from her face, he turned around and walked away, his heart sinking. For he knew she would hate him the rest of her life for what he had done.