Twelve

"She found the colors to paint him where the world had left him gray."

~

A full moon hung low in the heavens, contrasting against the inky darkness of the night. Elijah stood in the balcony, his eyes raised to the sky, and the city of Roselea sprawled beneath him.

He could hear the door to his chambers open and close softly, and the sound of an erratic heartbeat preceded that of timid footsteps. Elijah did not bother to turn around as the girl approached, carrying trays of food. The cutlery clinked repeatedly as her hands shook.

As she set them down, he could not resist watching her out of the corner of his eye. She was undoubtedly beautiful, and as he listened to her heart flutter nervously, the dull burn started becoming stronger.

She moved closer to lay the table, and her scent washed over him. Elijah almost doubled over as his throat flared, his pupils narrowing into slits. He closed his eyes, trying to summon every ounce of self control he possessed.

"Run along, love," he growled softly, fighting to keep his voice calm. He clutched at the balustrade, his knuckles turning white.

She bowed and hurried away, not needing to be told twice. Hearing the door close softly behind her, he released a breath. Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, he straightened up again, pressing his fingers against his temples. He needed to visit the forest soon, or he would go crazy with thirst.

The door opened again, and King Hayden glided noiselessly to the balcony, an amused expression on his face. Elijah turned around and bowed as the king took a seat at the table, watching him carefully.

"Pretty," the king finally remarked, smirking softly.

Elijah hummed in approval, turning back to face the city. "It doesn't matter," he shrugged. "I'll end up killing her. It will be a waste."

The king studied him. "Humans are like ants. Kill one, or kill one hundred, it does not make a difference."

Elijah walked up to the table and sat down. "It doesn't," he agreed. "But between killing humans or wild folk, I'll always choose the lesser of the two evils."

King Hayden smiled, the expression in his eyes almost sympathetic. "What do you seek to achieve by doing this? No matter what you do, you'll never be able to convince them that you are not a demon."

Elijah studied his reflection in the cutlery. I don't do it to convince them, he thought, I do it to convince myself.

"Any news about the girl?" he asked.

"She was supposed to take the Terregar trail, from Arlana to Elderfrost, through Alynthi and Zindara. However, scouts report no sighting of either her or her companion anywhere."

Elijah didn't move, his eyes fixed on the silver. "She's not on the trail?"

The king shook his head. "Whether she knows of the eyes on her or not, she is not the naive girl you thought her to be."

"No, she's not," Elijah finally raised his head, meeting the king's eyes. "She's stupid."

King Hayden raised a brow.

"Terregar is the simplest road. If she's not on it, she has no other option left than to reach Alynthi through Roselea. Which means they will pass through the forest." His lips thinned. "She'll end up getting herself killed before she even reaches the battleground."

"You underestimate her," the king said. "Even without her abilities, she is one of their best warriors."

Elijah folded his arms against his chest, leaning back on the chair. "Was her mother descended from witches?"

"No," the king stated flatly. "As for her father, the royal family of Arlana is powerful, but there is not a drop of magic in their blood."

Elijah curled his lip. "And you're certain the same blood runs through her veins."

The king opened his mouth to reply. Elijah waited, but he said nothing. Instead, narrowing his eyes, he leaned back, turning his head towards the moonlit city.

The prince watched him. "So you have considered it."

"Of course I have," King Hayden affirmed.

"A bastard?" Elijah smirked. "This is becoming interesting."

"Cadeyrn seems to have convinced the elves she's his," said the king. "After all, he has brought her up, trained her to be his heir. And no one knows about her little episode except two or three of them."

"He does not have an alternative," Elijah shrugged. "She's all he's got. Such a revelation would mean her losing all stake to the throne. And no one else would ever be able to prove such a claim." He stood up, running a hand through his dark hair. "I'm leaving tonight."

The king turned his face back to him. "It will take them atleast another ten days to reach the forest."

"I realize that," replied Elijah, turning his back to the king and the city as he walked towards his chambers. "But I haven't fed in weeks, and I would rather not spill human blood until it is not an absolute necessity."

He stopped, turning his head slightly. The moonlight bathed his chambers with a pleasant glow, making his porcelain skin look even paler. "Also, it is imperative that I keep an eye on her. The last thing I want is her dying before she can reach Elderfrost."