Eighteen

"She conquered her demons and wore her scars like wings."

~

Daniel screamed.

No voice came out, the only thing escaping his body being tiny bubbles of air, and he watched in a daze as they floated away towards the surface of the water. Blood pounded behind the curtain of his eyes, and though the water was mute as a dead man, the roaring in his ears was deafening.

He thrashed about helplessly, trying desperately to make his head break the surface, but the firm hand, wrapped around his neck, was unyielding. As he attempted to resist, the pain was agonizing. Every inch of his body was on fire, his lungs burning with a dire need for air, and every second that passed seemed like millennia as he fought against his body's growing desire to breathe, to let the water take over and carry him away, wrapping his limp body in its icy arms.

~

Her eyes flew open.

"Daniel."

Athena shot up, grabbing the damp wood with her hands as she attempted to stand. A blinding pain seared through her head, and she fell to her knees, grabbing her hair with both hands as her body doubled over. The blood throbbed in her veins as she coughed out the water, her body shaking with the effort. As her vision cleared, she stumbled to her feet, looking about wildly at the now calm water and the raft, unoccupied save for herself.

"Daniel," she whispered hoarsely.

The water gave no response.

The sun was now touching the horizon, painting the sky with exquisite shades of red. As she scanned the surface of the water, her breath came in short gasps, the edges of her vision turning red. Closing her eyes, she clenched her fists, trying to calm her pounding heart, as she concentrated on the water, gentle waves softly lapping at the side of the raft.

I can control it.

The water shimmered softly in the light of the setting sun, myriad colours of the evening sky reflecting off its surface. Her fingernails dug into the palm of her hand as she concentrated harder.

Nothing happened.

She sighed, swallowing as she stood up slowly, before bending to pick up her blade. Wrapping her fingers around its hilt, she straightened up, her eyes hardening with resolve.

Alright, let's do it the old fashioned way.

Closing her eyes, she breathed in deeply, feeling the air fill up her lungs till they threatened to burst. A soft breeze sprung up, and she relished its warmth as it gently caressed her hair and soothed her icy skin.

Athena jumped into the river.

~

The silence was deafening.

She opened her eyes, as her pupils blew wide open and her vision adjusted to the dark. Raising her head, she glanced upon the the surface, shimmering softly as the last rays of the sun bestowed upon it a warm halo. The light was dying with every passing second, and she knew she had not much time to find him.