02.

CHAPTER TWO

Despite the gloomy weather, the five friends decided to take a stroll down the road from the cottage they'd rented for the week

Despite the gloomy weather, the five friends decided to take a stroll down the road from the cottage they'd rented for the week. Since arriving several hours ago, they'd already crossed off a quarter of their to-do list, including the last-minute additions like sundress shopping and raiding every sweet shop within a ten-mile radius.

"You're right. British chocolate is better than American," said Darcy, nibbling away at her candy bar. Her yellow sundress danced in the breeze as she surveyed the rolling hills. London had far surpassed her expectations, especially the countryside—not to mention their candy was to die for.

"I told you," Willow said with a satisfied smile, pulling another candy bar out of the pocket of her blue sundress. "European chocolate cannot be beaten."

Darcy chuckled and finished off her chocolate bar.

"This place is breathtaking," Annalise said as they entered a small stretch of forest.

"It's definitely my favorite place we've visited so far," Darcy agreed.

"Don't you have countrysides in America?" Alice joked.

"Yeah, but nothing like this. At least not where I'm from."

"Well, I suppose this is another reason why England is-"

"Psst."

"Shut up, Skye. I'm trying to talk," said Alice.

Skye tore her gaze away from the hillside and furrowed her brows. "I didn't say anything?"

"Yeah, right, okay," Alice scoffed, not believing a word her sister said. "Anyway, I was saying that was another reason England was-"

"Psst."

"Honestly, Skye!" exclaimed Alice, smacking her sister's arm. "Can you hold on a minute?"

"It wasn't me!" Skye said defensively. "I'm not the only one here, you know."

Alice looked at Annalise and Willow.

"Don't look at me," Annalise said with an innocent shrug.

"I've just been eating chocolate," said Willow with her mouth full.

"Right, so if it wasn't them, and it wasn't Darcy since I've been talking to her, then it has to be you, Skye."

"How come you automatically believe them and not me?"

"You're my sister," Alice replied, "I'm allowed to not believe you."

Skye rolled her eyes. "That's horrible logic! Just because I'm your sister doesn't mean-"

"Psst."

"See! Did you hear that? It couldn't have been me because I was talking this time," said Skye, crossing her arms indignantly.