04.

CHAPTER FOUR

To say Skye was embarrassed would've been an understatement

To say Skye was embarrassed would've been an understatement.  No, embarrassment didn't even begin to describe the discomfort gripping in chest and gnawing its way to the pit of her stomach.  She'd imagined herself meeting the Pevensies hundreds of times, but she'd never imagined herself throwing up on Peter Pevensie's boot.  She couldn't face him, or any of them, after that.  Her humiliation would kill before she had the chance. 

After Skye emptied her stomach into the river, she straightened up and offered Lucy a weak smile.  "I am so sorry," she apologized sheepishly, pressing a trembling hand to her stomach.  "Normally, I don't do that when I meet people for the first time, but today has been such a stressful day where I almost lost my sister, and I... I cannot believe I did that," she breathed, replaying the horrific scene in her mind like a broken record.  "Please, tell your brother how sorry I am." 

"Oh, don't fret," Lucy assured her with a sympathetic smile.  "My brother has survived much worse."

That did little to appease the black hole eating away at Skye's stomach.  "I'm so embarrassed," she whispered, unable to remove her gaze from her muddied Converse.  If she looked up, she probably would've started crying.

"Really, it's all right!"

"No, it's not!  If I had left when Darcy suggested, none of this would've happened.  This is all my fault."  She huffed, feeling a short burst of anger blaze through her.   "It wasn't supposed to happen like this!  I had one shot and I blew it!" she whined, tears pricking her eyes.

Lucy's eyes softened with concern.  "First of all," she began evenly, touching Skye's arm to earn her attention, "take a deep breath so you don't upset yourself any further.  Secondly, if I know anything about my brother, it's that a little thing like that won't bother him.  And even if it did, he's the most forgiving person I know, so there's nothing to worry about."

Skye just nodded, wearing the same humiliated expression.

Lucy pressed her lips into a fine line before fiddling with something on her beIt.  From a small leather pouch, she withdrew a glass bottle filled with the darkest, richest crimson liquid Skye had ever seen. 

Skye stared in awe, already knowing what the liquid was before Lucy even opened her mouth. 

"This should lift your spirits," she said confidently, a small smile playing on her lips.  "One drop of my healing cordial should make you feel right as rain."

"Really?" Skye asked in amazement, admiring the diamond bottle glistening in the sunlight.   "You're going to use that on me?"

Lucy furrowed her brows.  "Of course!  Why shouldn't I?"

"Oh... I- uhm- just assumed it was meant for, like, serious injuries or fainting or something."

"The healing cordial cures all ailments," Lucy said with a smirk.