03.

CHAPTER THREE

The estate melted into streaks of brown and green as the vicious barking and shouting faded into silence

Darcy thought she'd died and was ascending to heaven until their surroundings slowly solidified like paint strokes forming a picture. Vibrant red and yellow blurs morphed into a vast forest stretching far beyond what the eye could see, fallen leaves littering the ground like broken glass.

Nothing else marred the dazzling azure sky except the golden sun hanging in the East. A brisk chill swept between the five girls as they stood at the edge of a waterfall cascading into an icy river below. The drop must've been at least twenty feet, and if they weren't so in awe of the view, they would've been petrified.

"No way . . ." Darcy breathed.

"Are we where I think we are?" Willow asked. Her eyes were wide with wonder as she glanced at her friends, hoping they were as shocked as she was.

"Where else could we be?!" Alice exclaimed, an uncontrollable laugh escaping her lips.

"Are you sure we're not dead?" Skye asked quickly, the possibility sending a jolt of fear through her.

"If we were dead, would I be able to do this?" Alice asked before slapping her sister's arm. The sound resounded through the forest and echoed off the bordering mountains.

"Ow!" Skye cried, nursing her sore arm. "I could've gotten the point without you hitting me."

"How is this possible?" Darcy said, touching her fingers to her lips, unable to wrap her head around everything. Their frantic chase was over but her heart still thundered in her chest. "This breaks every rule of physics!"

"Bother the rules!" Alice declared. "Clearly we got here by magic!" She patted her pocket storing the rings.

"Right," Darcy scoffed. "And then Gandalf will swoop in on an eagle and take us back to England?"

Alice rolled her eyes. "Obviously not since we're in Narnia and he's from Middle-Earth. That's a completely different universe," she countered smartly.

"Do you hear yourself right now? You sound insane!"

"Take a deep breath, Darcy," Skye said, touching her friend's arm. She gave their new surroundings a once over before adding, "I think it's safe to say wherever we are isn't England."

"How do you know for sure?" Darcy asked, though deep down inside she knew it was a stupid question. But looking stupid didn't bother her half as much as the unknown. This entire situation had spiraled out of her control and she couldn't reel it back in.

"Because a Talking Robin led us to the same rings, buried in the same place from the book! How much more proof do you need?" Alice asked, frustration coloring her cheeks.