1: The stakeout

Not far from the town, but through a fence, a football field, a small green lane, and over a huge hill, three mages were lying in the sand. They could hear the occasional rumble of a car in the distance, but other than that they could almost pretend that they were all alone in the outdoors. Over this last summer, escaping from adult supervision was more than enough reason to roam beyond the edge of town and into the surrounding fields, particularly following the stream into the semi-beach. Normally they were content to sprawl out on a towel over the sand, with the summer heat beating down on them and the drone of cars lulling them to sleep.

Today, however, Lexy was fighting the temptation to lay her head down, knowing that she might soon doze off like the older boys next to her. She was at the river for a reason, staying low to peer through the rocks, across the wave-covered surface with the watchfulness of a crocodile staking out a watering hole. Her eyes brighter and bluer than the water, and her straight blonde hair, her green t-shirt, and shorts complimented her pale skin. She was actually quite proud of the look. Not that it mattered particularly in the sandy rushes surrounding the river.

The sun was turning red, low to the horizon, and she would not have much time to take advantage of the dusk, which she considered to be the most likely time to catch a glimpse of what she was here to see. Like the two teens with her, she would be in big trouble if she returned home after dark. Home was not far, but a fair hike for our explorers who would have to run through up a hill and through the green lane before they would be back within sight of Rue Ardiden.

Jayesh Mishra who had just woken up was thinking about how long it would take them to get home and whether they could make it before dark. He was looking at his boyfriend, Henry, who laid fast asleep. He thought about poking him awake.

"We're going to have to go soon, Lex," he said.

"Ssh!" she whispered. "If there's something in there, don't you think it already knows we're here?" He was trying not to sound sceptical, he really was, but he must have failed miserably, because Lexy turned her head to look at him over her shoulder, and her scowl made him swallow hard and close his mouth before he said something else to make her angry.

Lexy Pritchett was Henry's sister. They weren't exactly friends, even if they hung out a lot. You see, after Henry had left for boarding school he had asked Jayesh to look after her.

Henry's uncle Sam had moved in down the street from the Mishra's when they were both five, and they had been partners in crime ever since. They'd gone to the town's Kabal, or magic school until Henry had left for elite warrior training. They'd started dating when they were about to turn 14, and through their ups and downs, they were still together.

However, one thing that had always bothered the young man was Henry's relationship with his sister, not that he could blame him. After their parent's death, both siblings had grown very close. When he turned 14, Henry left for Osgard Academia, but the distance had somehow made them even closer. They went practically everywhere together, to Jayesh's dismay. At least, they still had the summers to lay on the sand and listen to the cars while Lex went on wild hunts for magical creatures who supposedly lived near town.

Lexy was fearless, and Jayesh thought it was partly because she was the youngest child, and partly because her uncle didn't really know anything about kids. Most importantly, she'd been told since a young age about her prophecy.

Oh yes a prophecy

A mature responsible adult would have never told a kid that her parents had been brutally murdered and that she was destined to avenge them, that she was destined to save the world. But then again Sam wasn't great with children. What am I supposed to do, give her a beer? She's 4 !