The Burn Of Passion

Fire had always been my fascination; since youth I'd often stare into the open flame of a candle or a match. Bonfires were my delight, as was the sun; so of course, if was only natural that I would later become interested in elemental magic.

The very forces that bonded the known world together, the very essences of Both creation and destruction; both manifestations of the same thing.

I practiced under an elder as an acolyte, learning everything I could about the mystery that was fire.

"Are you paying attention?!" My master sneered infront of me, dropping the heavy grimore on the table infront of me dramatically, "Youthling, if you play with fire uneducated, you will end up scorched to ash. Now, if you pay even an inkling of attention- perhaps you shall not! So Open your ears and eyes, stop being such a lamb!" This reaction was not uncommon, as I drifted into my thoughts often; finding solace in the palace of my mind.

"Yes master, I'm sorry, please forgive me." I whine, hurriedly grabbing up the dusty spell book; it had burn marks across the Cover from rituals unknown, with a brittle binding to tell it's age. The title read, "Compendium of Spirits, demons, and Otherfolk", a most exciting title for one such as myself- I'd been waiting for this lesson since my studies had began three years ago.

The first page of the dusty tome held a description of the four basic elements and their accompanying embodiments; the Empress of Water, the Warrior of Wind, the Traveler of Fire and the Lady of the Forest.

The depictions of the Traveler drew my eyes; strong broad shoulders, serious eyes, and hair of flames. Such a beautiful picture of the element- eyes glowing the same color of his hair, skin the color of raw honey, with the bodily structure of a fit warrior who was no stranger to the edge of a sword.

Though tempted to lose myself in daydreams, I began to study the encantations diligently, memorizing the words, "Ignem veni excipis, Eo loci parum nostis omnia.Igne me hospitio, in corde meo.Iam venerat ad me,i potest intrare in cor tuum."

The words echoed in my heart,
"Fire I have come art satisfied with, in that place, have insufficient knowledge of all things, the fire of me, in his house, in the heart of my name. 'Now the first came to me, i can not enter into the heart of your name."

What a poetic justice, my thoughts were scattered as I looked down at the things needed to summon said creature, "Carapin mushroom, Lyre weeds, and the ashes from a recent fire.Mix together with a pestle, until mush. Sprinkle over a fire to birth the Traveler." I whispered to myself aloud, following the script with my fingertips.

A smile bloomed on my lips, as I continued on to the next page, "fire is cunning and should not be trifled with, he will trick you out of your own shoes if you allow it."

~~

I knew where to get all of the ingredients for such a ritual, the mushroom and weeds I could snatch from the University's stores; as for the recent ashes, my village always held a bonfire every night, so I inconspicuously gathered some from there.

Mixing with a mortar, the mush part was easy; as soon it came time to start my fire.

I took a steady deep breath, closing my eyes before summoning the essence to my fingertips; flames sprang from my flesh, and licked at the dried sticks and herbs I had prepared.

With the fire started, I smiled dreamily, before sprinkling the ashy mush into the flames.

Suddenly, the fire erupted into a column, blasting me with heat; blowing me back and onto my rear in the dirt. Yet, once the column dissipated there, standing in the ashes, there stands a tall, tan skinned, man with hair of charming flames. A smile came to his lips, giving his visage almost a devilish appearance; he was clothed in only crimson pants made of silk drapes, adorned with golden fastenings, ropes and tassels, he carried with him a shepard's cane.