Chapter 4

Hogwarts 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Firs' years! This way," Hagrid calls, holding a lantern, "Firs' years!"

Aurora, Ron, and Harry exit the train together, Hermione joining them a moment later, looking around at the station in wonder. Ron elbows Harry, whispering excitedly into his ear. Hermoine's eyes widen as she takes in the scenery, Aurora running in front of them.

"This way to the boats! First years, follow me!"

"Boats??"

"How would I know??" Harry and Aurora spoke.

The four of them follow Hagrid over to a large lake. A line of boats with lanterns in them waits in front of them. Aurora runs up to a boat as soon as Hagrid sits down on his own. The rest of the first years follow after in their own boats, as Ron, Harry, and Hermione sit down beside the over-eager girl.

Ron and Harry grip the sides of the boat as it starts moving on its own. Aurora laughs at their startled expressions as the boat picks up speed. With the adrenaline coursing through her veins, Aurora zones out. Hermione and the boys are talking now, but she doesn't register it, as the wind chills her, taking in the dark lake. It's beautiful, the moon and lanterns lighting up the horizon.

"-re. Aurora!" Hermione pulls her out of her thoughts. Aurora looks up at her with unfocused eyes. Her twin softens her tone slightly as she repeats herself, "C'mon, Rory, we're here."

The four get out of the boat, albeit with a bit of a struggle from Aurora who needs a hand from Harry. They walk towards the huge castle in front of them. They freeze in astonishment, taking in the marvelous sight.

"Holyyy shit! That's our school?" Aurora exclaimed.

The other members of the group hummed in amazement, still stunned by the beauty of the school property. Hagrid led the large group of first years up a flight of stone steps, crowding around a big oak door. He knocks loudly three times with one of his gigantic fists. Aurora jumps up impatiently, clearly wanting to enter the enchanting castle.

The door swung open at once, revealing a tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes. Assessing each of the students with a quick glance and a stern face, she pulls the door wide open. The stone walls, lit with flaming torches, a ceiling far too high for the students to see properly and the scent of the feast invade the students' senses.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." The witch's stern voice matches her face and posture perfectly.

They follow Professor McGonagall across the stone floor to a small empty chamber, taking in the chatter from the other, older, students who had got to the castle previously.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall, a slight smile on her passive face. Taking a short pause, she continues, "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room.

The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours."

The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." The Professor says as she walks away.

Aurora can't contain her excitement, grinning from ear to ear while shifting her weight from each foot. Harry and Ron look as if they might puke, shivering with nervous energy.

"The Sorting Ceremony's about to start." Professor McGonagall reminds the school, returning from wherever she had gone off to. "Now, form a line," she tells the first-years, "and follow me."

Pushing random people out of her way to move faster, Aurora impatiently asks a boy with platinum blonde hair next to her how long the sorting would take. Rolling his eyes he gave a vague answer, annoying the hell out of Aurora. And she tells him just that.

He smirks, intrigued, and introduces himself as "Malfoy, Draco Malfoy." Trying to keep in a laugh at his poor attempt at flirting, she told him her name, winking.

They continue through a set of doors leading to the Great Hall. Aurora stops in her tracks, taking in the jaw-dropping beauty of the grand room.

Looking up, she can see the ceiling was somehow bewitched to look like a sparkling night sky, candles floating midair over four long tables, setting a delicate mood with their soft light. There are four tables of dark wood, each sporting a different color; red, blue, green, and yellow. The room goes completely silent, other than the crackle of the candle flames and the minute sounds of feet shuffling. A few murmurs echo around the huge room before McGonagall moves forward placing a four-legged stool down. She conjures a pointy hat, placing it on the stool in which it began to sing. She clears her throat, holding a large roll of parchment.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted," she said. "Abbott, Hannah!"

A pink-faced girl with blonde pigtails stumbled out of line, put on the hat, which fell right down over her eyes, and sat down. A moment's pause --

"HUFFLEPUFF!" shouted the hat.

This went on for several more students, some going to each house. McGonagall then called "Granger, Aurora!"

Aurora almost ran to the stool and jammed the hat eagerly on her head.

"GRYFFINDOR!" with no hesitation shouted the hat.

Malfoy strutted forward when his name was called and got his wish at once: the hat had barely touched his head when it screamed, "SLYTHERIN!"

Malfoy went to join his friends Crabbe and Goyle, looking pleased with himself.

Hermione and Ron almost instantly got sorted into Gryffindor, all they need to complete the group is Harry. When his name was called, the hall burst into whispers, all about the boy who lived. The hat taking his sweet time with Harry had a long and deep conversation with when he finally shouted out,

"GRYFFINDOR!"

The Gryffindor table roared with applause, Harry walked over to his house's table with a grin.

With smiles on the four friends' faces, they congratulated each other, happy to be stuck with each other.