Chapter 9

The Boss

She looks so broken..empty..sitting near the bed holding her frail little hand..

Caroline.

I was worried. Luke had come in earlier to say that my request had been denied. I felt so damn helpless. My baby was in danger. I could not do anything to get her back. Should I tell them about her? Will they help me?

No. Why would they help me? I was just some stupid girl who got in between their plans and a burden. Why would a group of gangsters help me?

I wanted to cry my eyes out but nothing came. I just felt numb.

I heard a knock on the door. I got up and opened the door. Luke stood in the doorway with an unreadable expression. He just stood there just staring at me.

"Yes?"

That seemed to pull him out of his thoughts.

"Your sister is here"

huh

My sister was here? My sister? How did they know? Where they playing with me?

"W-where?" was only I managed to stutter out.

He nodded  and started to walking instructing me to follow. I walked behind  him silence.

Is he really telling the truth? Is my sister really here? Is my baby here? Can I hold her again? It has been so long. That monster never let me see her. How did they find her?

He led me to a large door and I opened the door to find my baby on a hospital bed with scars all over her tiny body.

Thats when the tears started the falling. I rushed to her side. She lay there unconscious. I felt so broken. I vowed to protect her but look at where she is now. She is just a baby. How could he do this to her. I felt so broken.. so empty.

The Boss.

I watched her for hours. She did not notice me. I wanted to get up but I couldn't. I wanted to know how the little girl was. I wanted to see her when she wakes up. I wanted to know that she is gonna be OK.

Caroline.

All the bleeding wounds was now bandaged but she still did not wake up. The doctor said that she was starving and too weak. I felt heart clench in pain. She's just four. Why did she had to go through this? Wasn't it enough to unleash his anger on me? Why on her? Why on my baby?

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I felt her hand twitching.

"C-C-a-r"

She slowly opened her eyes.

"Shh I am here baby. I am not going anywhere. You are safe baby"

A small smile formed her tiny little face. " I-i love you car". With that her eyes fluttered close and her breaths became even and she felt into a peaceful sleep.

For the first time in a long time a genuine smile formed on my face. I held onto her hand., and slowly sleep engulfed me too.

The boss

I smiled as a small smile crept on her face and she fell asleep too. She was gonna be OK.

Both of them will. I will make sure of it.

After all I am not the king of Italian Mafia for nothing, now am I?