Chapter 6 - Fae

Sarah's POV:

Jareth led me down some halls and into a small dining room. The table was well set and I hadn't seen so much food in a long time. My jaw dropped and I stared at Jareth. He smirked and guided me to a seat.

Pulling my chair out, he helped me into my seat and then took his own seat. He smiled and started to serve himself. I did the same and started to eat. It was a fine meal of mash potatoes and pork with a sides of broiled broccoli and cauliflower.

I realized how long it had been since I had eaten a good meal. My step-mother wasn't the best cook in the world. I looked up at Jareth and said,

"Please thank the cook for me. It is very good." He laughed and smirked.

"No need. You just did." I stared at him. He cooked! I had not expected that at all.

"You cook!" He chuckled and took a bite before saying,

"I am not just a king. I do know a little about other things." I smiled slightly and started to eat again. We were silent for a moment and then Jareth said,

"Do you want to learn about your new race?" I swallowed my bite and took a deep breath. My new kind. I wasn't human any longer. It was about time. 

"Okay, why don't I ask questions and you answer them?" He said,

"Sounds fine to me. First question?" I took a deep breath and said,

"Well, I know we are immortal. I know that we have magic. But I would like to know if there are any other Fae in the near vicinity." Jareth laughed and said,

"No, I haven't seen another Fae in at least nine hundred years. They are all in their realm." I looked at him and said

"Why are you here? Did you make everyone angry?" We laughed together and then he said,

"No, I choose to stay here. You see, for thousands of years, Fae and humans lived together as friends. Then about a fifteen hundred years ago people began to fear us. Our friendship began to falter. Then a thousand years ago people began to hate us completely. They drove us from their presence with things they knew we feared. We had no choice but to leave.

"But, we had a problem. There was another race. The goblins. They were smarter back in those days and more dangerous. We kept them under control. Humans feared goblins but not as much as they should have. If we were to return to the Fae Realm then they would be left to run rampant. So, nine hundred years ago, the Fae held a large council. I was there that faithful day.

"They decided that one Fae needed to remain to rule the goblins as a king. I was quite a trickster in my younger days and I was more than happy to stay. I had no love for the Fae Realm. One wasn't allow to play tricks there. So, here I am, the Goblin King. I shall remain as such until goblins cease to exist. You shall be Goblin Queen as long as I am king." He smirked at me and returned to his meal.

I sighed. This was a lot to take in. I wasn't sure what I had been expecting. But this wasn't it. I softly said,

"So that is where the legends of little people, fairies, and such creatures came from?" He nodded.

"We are nothing like them but yes, there is some element of truth to it. We are magical beings after all." I laughed and said,

"No, you don't have wings and flit around bringing nature to life." Jareth threw his head back and roared with laughter. He didn't sound like the normally dangerous goblin king. He was simply a very amusing being who I happened to have promised my hand in marriage to. I was only eighteen and Jareth was over a thousand years. It was a great age different. If my calculations were correct, 990 years difference to be precise.

Then my mind drifted back to my world. What about Toby? What about my family in general? Would anyone remember me or would it be like I never existed. Jareth must have seen the growing worry on my face because he said,

"Precious, is something wrong?" I took a shaky breath.

"Will anyone remember me?" He smirked and said,

"You will not be forgotten. In fact, they will have found your body by now." I looked up at him and said,

"BODY!" He chuckled at my alarm and said,

"Yes, precious, your body. The one you have right now is not the same as the one you had when you were human. That body died. Changing a human body to a Fae body is a very long, very painful, and very unpleasant business. It was much simpler to give you another body. Besides, now everyone thinks you died. They will bury your body but you will live forever here." He smirked again and finished off his meal.

I scowled and said,

"Well, why did you tell me before?" He laughed and said,

"You didn't ask, precious." I rolled my eyes and pushed my plate away. 

"Well, I guess I shall have to learn to ask for everything." He laughed and stood up. Walking over to my chair, he helped me pull it out. He held out his hand and I took it firmly. He winked and said,

"Shall we go see the throne room? I am working a second throne. After all, you need one." I rolled my eyes and tried to keep from groaning. Every three seconds he was reminded me of our marriage. I decided not to let it get to me and so we walked to the throne room.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

How did his explanation of his race's absence sound? I completely thought that up from my head. I was hoping that it didn't sound too weird. I wanted to do something different.

sarahlet2999