Chapter Two

Dren hesitantly follows his sister into the now pitch-black forest. Dren wanted to scream out to her to come back and to run home. But to do that would wake everyone. To scream would bring attention to him in the darkness. The darkness that felt like any sound would echo far and wide inviting all who intended harm to know where he was. Quietly following his sister in the dark. Vulnerable. Elvy walked in a confident manner that brought Dren a small sense of comfort as he quietly trailed her. She continued forward strolling a familiar path. At ease, as if this was a common practice for her. A little ways away from the village Elvy stopped and looked behind her suspiciously before bending down, and crawling behind a mossy wall. Dren's heart raced he couldn't place why his sister had left home to venture into the dark forest, and to what place she was going.

When Dren came face to face with the mossy wall he moved two strands back, and the plant fled from his touch tickling him. Dren's heart pumped so quickly as he peered through the scurrying moss into what appeared to be a long tunnel with no end to it. It was as if Elvy had been swallowed by the surrounding darkness. Without warning a loud screech rang from above him. Dren looked up furiously searching for what could have made such a loud sound, but all he could see was brush and the ever-pervasive darkness. His ears rang as he leapt into the tunnel. His body's cowardice taking control. A light revealing the end of the tunnel gave way to the path forward which Dren cautiously followed. As his knees hit the ground floor he noticed the tunnel was a large fallen tree trunk. The indentations of wood dug into his knees. His breath was visible now, and his body was cold. Another loud screech moved Dren further into the tree. The light at the end of the tunnel rhythmically turned on and off with each screech.

As Dren approached the end of the tunnel, he looked around to see an open spot in the grass. The floor was covered with thick hard dirt that supported each step with little effort. Laughter came from his right reminding Dren of the reason for leaving the safety of his home. Looking around frantically, Dren finally located his sister Elvy who continued to laugh. In disbelief, Dren stood staring dumbly at his sister. The sound of her laughter was almost an entirely new experience. She never laughed when she was at home. Dren couldn't think of the last time his sister wore such a carefree smile. He watched her puzzled, as she sat around a small dark pond of water with three friends about the same age as her. Dren's mind filled with questions, but more than his questions, the urge to get back to the safety of the village screamed in his mind filling all available gaps for an explanation. The sky above lit up, and massive winged creatures with lights swimming around in their bodies floated above them. Dren shivered, he had never seen creatures like that before. The village sky is all Dren had known. There was never anything in the sky. Not during the lighted time at least.

Dren's attention fell back to Elvy who stood shivering. Turning towards a large black orb woven into a tree's root, she shook it releasing it from the tree's firm grasp, and light similar to what filled the flying creatures above them filled the orb with a fluid-like light. Elvy appeared to warm up when she held the now-lit sphere. Returning to her friends around the pond they all huddled for the warmth that the orb emanated. An old stone carving could be seen in one of the friend's laps. Gold and black minerals embedded creating some kind of scene that Dren could not make out. Dren wondered how he would approach the situation he wanted to tell them it was after curfew... but that was obvious.

Why were they out here so late?

Elvy would be so mad if she found him, and that he followed her. Dren worried. Lost in thought, moments passed before he looked up to see Elvy missing from the group. Only a moment later the sound of Elvy clearing her throat came from behind him. He gasped, fell forward, and looked behind to see his sister with her arms folded around the orb and wearing a bothered smile. Elvy took in a long sigh and squatted down next to her younger brother who laid fearfully embarrassed in the dirt.

"I'm surprised you followed me tonight. Took some guts... come on let's go back home"

Elvy spoke softly while pulling Dren to his feet. Dren had so many questions: what was that orange orb she held in her hands? What are those creatures in the sky? Does she do this every night? Is she crazy? Dren was so lost in thought that before he knew it they had walked far past where they had met up, and were in the thick of the woods. Eerie noises whispered from all around them. Elvy didn't seem to mind this time when Dren held her arm. She hadn't pulled away, so Dren held tighter. A menacingly cold breeze crept through the forest, and Dren's entire body shivered. Elvy looked down at him and handed down the orange orb for Dren to carry. The orb was nearly as hot as the fire from dinner, and he smiled up at Elvy who continued her stare forward.

Suddenly a gust of wind shot at them from the left. The whole forest felt like it would run away with the wind, but Elvy and Dren stood still. Dren looked up at Elvy terrified, but her expression was focused, yet unreadable. A loud screech rang all around them. The same screech from earlier. The orb's light surged but went out concealing Dren and Elvy in the darkness. For once in his life, Dren felt safe in the nightfall hoping the source of the sound could not find them. Dren held Elvy's arm tighter. Another large gust of wind swept the ground, and the forest was black as tar. The wind cut them like needles. A tight grip clung to Dren's arm. The grasp did not belong to Elvy. This grip wore claws and were hard as stone. By Dren's arm, he was lifted from the ground. Moments later a familiar scream could be heard from below. It was Elvy.