SEVENTEEN.

TRIGGER WARNING: MENTIONS OF ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIPS

After spending the night at the Royal family's castle, Ruby and Ben headed back to Auradon prep because Ben had to attend to some last-minute preparations for Family Day and Ruby had to check in with Fairy Godmother about all the classes she'd missed the day before. Clearly, this idea came from the crown prince, not the fiery princess. Ruby doubted she actually do it unless she happened to run into Fairy Godmother, but then it would be more about keeping up appearances than actually caring about it.

Still, despite Ruby's lack of actual plans for the day, Mal certainly had an idea. It mostly included dragging Ruby back to their dorm room and giving her an earful about disappearing on them when they were discussing their plans for during the coronation next week.

"You do know that you're, like, the key to this plan if we want it to work, right?!" Mal finished off her rant. Ruby had been staring at her blankly for the passed ten minutes, while Evie, who'd been working on a dress when they stormed in, was keeping herself from biting her perfectly polished nails as she watched the interaction.

Ruby gave her purple-haired friend a second to collect herself and got off the bed she'd been sitting on with a perfect posture. She leant forward, getting into Mal's face, and raised an eyebrow.

"You're right," She said, making Mal frown because it couldn't be this easy. Ruby continued as she'd began to smile a threatening sort of manic smile that only the Hearts women possessed. "I am the key to your plan, so why don't you dial it down a notch, little fairy, before I tell you to go to the Underworld with that plan of yours."

Ruby drew back and walked past Mal towards the door, ramming her shoulder into hers. Before she left, she turned around and tilted her head to the side with a fake smile. "Oh, and I was spending the night at Ben's castle getting close to him and his family. You know, perfectly following that plan you forced me to play a key part in. You're welcome."

With that, Ruby flipped her hair over her shoulder, threw the door shut behind, almost feeling the girls flinch. Once she turned the corner and was out of immediate sight from her dorm room, Ruby rested her back against the wall and hung her head.

"What am I gonna do?" She muttered to herself.

Her defense against Mal's accusations was perfectly sound. It was credible and showed her dedication, would even make Mal feel a little guilty for getting upset with her. It was the perfect reply, one she would've given back on the Isle. The only trouble with it was that she didn't do any of it for Mal's plan. Not even close.

She didn't spend time with Ben because she had to. She didn't get close to him to make getting the wand easier. She didn't hold his hand in public to fool everyone into thinking they made a cute couple. Not even close.

Ruby did it because she liked it.

She liked spending time with Ben and getting to know his little quirks. She loved how safe she felt with Ben and how he comforted her, sometimes without even realizing it. And she adored it when he grabbed her hand and began rubbed circles on the back of it with his thumb. It kept her calm.

Of course, there was no way she could tell Mal any of that. Ruby might not know shit about emotions, but Mal did and resented them. At least, emotions like being in love. Love. Ruby smiled and let out a tiny chuckle.

"I guess, I am."

It was the first time she'd ever admitted it out loud. It felt good. She felt warm inside and the smile tugging at her lips became hard to resist.

But Mal wouldn't understand it. Sure, she was hanging out with Rachelle, but Ruby doubted the purple-haired girl had ever even considered love. Maybe Evie would understand. She'd always been the most emotional of the three girls. Ruby had often thought it annoying, but really, she was jealous, because at least Evie knew how to handle them. For a minute she considered confiding in the blue-haired princess but decided against it. Evie would make a whole big deal out of it. And maybe it was, but Ruby was not ready for Evie's excitement about it yet.