The realization

The footsteps start getting louder and closer making my breath go ragged in fear. Jayce gets in front of me with a metal pole in one hand and my hand in his other. I can tell he's getting into a fighting position to start swinging at whatever is coming our way, where my flight response has already won over the fight and I'm about ready to start using it.

"Jayce, come on we need to get the fuck out of here," I said as quietly and sternly as possible.

Before he can say or do anything, two shadows emerge from the corner.

We come face to face with two police officers, they are far enough that we can just see their silhouette and their uniforms from the moonlight.

"Stay there and put down the weapon!" The bigger cop yelled and holding up a baton and his hand on his taser that is connected to his holster.

We say nothing while Jayce keeps the pole gripped tightly in his hands and he squeezes my hand twice. Trying to figure out what he means by that action. I look around as discreetly as possible, noticing that there are only two ways out. Either running past the cops, where they could easily catch us... well the skinny one could, I'm not sure about the big guy, to get to the front door we came in. Or break the window beside us that will lead to an open area. There's only one logical answer here.

"Put the weapon down!" now the skinny one demanded.

I mimick Jayce's action and squeeze his hands twice showing him that I understand the plan of action. He lets go of my hand and holds up five fingers. I immediately understand that he is counting down.

4.

3.

2.

"Run!"

We both run over to the window and start using random objects to break the class with. It takes a couple of tries but Jayce finally shatters the glass when he gives up on the metal pole and throws a cinder block at the bottom left corner of the window. I look behind us and see that the two cops are yelling and running... well jogging their way over to us.

"Stop and get on your knees!" "Stop get back here" "Stop! your trust passing"

We keeping running as fast as we can, jumping over random objects. Were almost outside when I step on a rock and twist my angle. "Shit!" I look behind me and see that they are getting closer by the second. Jayce stops and turns around when he realizes I'm not behind him.

"Blake, your fucking clumsy!" he shouts, irritated and out of breath. I'm sitting on the ground on God knows what and he grabs my arm helping me up.

"Well, excuse me for not knowing there was a rock right there!" I quip. I try to put my angle down and put weight on it but a sharp shooting pain arises causing me to hiss in pain.

"Motherfucker!" Jayce yells when we both look to see that the cops have almost made their way to us. "Fuck! Here get on my back!"

I would argue but I'm in so much pain that I know it's impossible to run anymore. He bends down in front of me and I use as much power as I can in my right foot to boost myself on his back.

"Okay. Go! Go! Go!" I yell. Jayce lets out a sew of cuss words but starts running as fast as he can to the opening to the outside. I hold onto him as tight as I can but make sure I'm not choking him and restringing his airway.

Before I know it, Jayce has got us outside of the building and making his toward the hole in the fence that we climbed through. How the cops haven't gotten to us yet is a miracle but they are still quite a bit of a way from us. He gets us to the opening and sets me down helping me crawl through then does it himself. Once he is on the other side he picks me up bridal style and continues to run his way to the truck that is thankfully not that far.