Home Stretch

Stoick returned a couple of hours later to find Astrid sleeping soundly in his son's arms.

"Shh," Hayden warned.

"How is she?" His father asked.

"She woke up and went completely nuts. The quicker we can get her out of here, the better." He explained. "I knew she hated hospitals but, she was terrified and that's just, not like her."

"When you say 'she went nuts'?"

"She ripped out her IV and then attacked Ethan when he tried to help her."

"Yup, that sounds like Astrid." Stoick agreed. "I trust he made it out with all his limbs intact."

"I think if she had been at her full strength, he would have been lucky to make it out with his life. She really wasn't happy."

"She's probably just scared, Son," Stoick explained. "She may be a Hofferson, but everyone has their limits."

***

Slowly rising from the depths of slumber, feeling returning to her body, Astrid groaned, rolled over, and curled up as tightly as possible, clutching her stomach.

Something about the atmosphere surrounding her didn't seem right, so cautiously opening one eye she quickly scanned the room.

Awareness came in a flash, this was not within her comfort zone, this was strange and in some ways frightening. What had happened - how had she got here - where was here - why was she... ? So many thoughts scrambled themselves to the surface in a panic that a thin film of perspiration began to form on her brow and upper lip. Fear was setting in and there was nothing she could do to stop it, no comforting words or thoughts, nothing reassuring came to mind, until...

"Hey, it's okay." Hayden's voice was so soft and calm. She squeezed her eyes shut, rolling back towards her loving boyfriend, burying her face deep into his side, gripping tightly to the robe that covered his hospital gown. "It's okay. I'm right here. Just like I promised."

He felt her body shake beside him and heard a gentle sob escape her lips.

"The medication must have worn off." He smiled down at her sadly.

Stoick left to fetch the nurse, returning almost immediately.

"Okay, Astrid. How are we feeling?" Nurse Ethan said as he approached the monitors beside her bed. He received no response. She continued sobbing hysterically into Hayden's robe. "Okay, I can make the pain stop, but I need you to relax for me, okay?" He had such a friendly voice. She almost felt as though she could trust him until she peered up from Hiccup's side to see a large needle in the nurse's hand. She hid her arm between her and Hiccup, faster than she could blink.

It took a few minutes but Hiccup finally managed to calm her down long enough for Ethan to administer her pain medication.

Once again he placed his hands in hers. "Can you squeeze for me?"

This time she squeezed with all her might. Ethan had to shake the feeling back into his fingers after she released him. He removed her sling, now that her movement had returned to her right arm.

***

"When can we take her home?" Hiccup blurted out as Ethan was headed out the door. He stopped in his tracks and spun around.

"Well, I would like to keep you both here under observation for just a little while longer. But, you know that we can't legally keep you here. So, if you wish to leave, I can get a doctor to come up and discuss your discharge." Ethan explained. Astrid squeezed Hiccup's hand.

"YES, please." Hayden pleaded.

***

Another hour passed before they were finally discharged and Stoick drove the young couple home. Both now wearing a hoodie and sweats. They were Hayden's clothes as Stoick refused to go through Astrid's belongings.

Other than his sprained wrist and bruised head, Hayden managed to escape any major injuries, so was willing and able to carry Astrid up the stairs towards her bedroom. As they passed Hayden's room Astrid grasped the door frame. Hiccup let out a small chuckle and took the hint that she wanted to stay with him. But he didn't mind. In fact, he preferred to keep a close eye on her. He tucked her into his bed.

As he turned to leave, he felt her hands wrapped around his wrist, pulling back with all their might. Which wasn't a lot, since she still wasn't at full strength, but he appreciated her enthusiasm.

"I'm just going to get you something to eat." He explained. She refused to let him go. He rolled his eyes before admitting his defeat. "Cover your ears." She did as told. Hiccup let out a loud whistle, calling Toothless and Stormfly into the room.

He tucked himself in beside his girlfriend, wrapping his arm around her shoulders, drawing her closer. He gently caressed her hair as she smiled contently. Her smile was only slight, as the scar across her cheek stretched with every movement of her mouth.

A few moments later, Stoick appeared with a tray, full of food.

"Thanks, Dad." Hayden accepted gratefully.

Astrid smiled and nodded, hoping to get her appreciation across.

Hiccup placed the tray on his lap.

"What will it be, Milady?" He offered.

Astrid looked up at him blankly before returning her gaze to the tray of food.

"Okay," He sighed. "We'll just... take it slow today." He picked up a jello pot before quickly returning it to the tray, only to pick up another. "Strawberry." He whispered to himself. Astrid's favorite flavor. He opened it up before handing it to her. He passed her a small spoon.

She could not have been more grateful for Hiccup at that moment. She could see how much he just wanted to wrap her in bubble wrap and spoon feed her soft foods. He would take absolutely every precaution to keep her safe. But he also knew Astrid well enough to know that she preferred to be in control of a situation. So, he would wait for her to signal that she needed help with something. After all, he didn't want to take away her independence.

***