My choice

Once Astrid was all tucked up, in her own bed, Hiccup headed back downstairs where his father had ventured out of the safety of his study.

"So, you decided yet?" Stoick asked his son.

"Uh, decided what?" Hiccup wondered as he started to tidy up.

"College, Son. Have you decided?"

"Oh, that! No, not yet." He admitted. "I mean, Berserker Institute has the best art program, but it's miles away."

"That's what cars are for," Stoick explained.

"You mean the car that blew up?" Hiccup reminded.

"We can get you a new car, Hayden." Stoick rolled his eyes. "If that's really where you want to go."

"I don't think so, Dad." He shook his head as he began pacing back and forth.

"What about Astrid?"

Hiccup's head shot towards his father.

"Wha- What about Astrid?" He gasped.

"What college is she thinking?" Stoick asked.

"She's got her heart set on Sparwood," Hayden told him. "It's the only college that lets you take pets."

"I would've thought she'd choose the Auburn Athletic Academy." Stoick thought.

"No, she wants to study animal management." He corrected. "But, please for the love of Thor don't tell her I told you that."

Stoick nodded in understanding. But, what Hiccup failed to realize, was that a sleepy Astrid was standing at the bottom of the stairs, listening intently.

***

"Sparwood does have a great art program." Hiccup tried to slyly slip in.

"Why the sudden change of heart? You've had you made set on Berserker Institute for months."

"Wha- Just exploring my options!" He fibbed. Truth was, his mind was already made up, and nothing, not even Stoick could change that.

"Sparwood is a lot closer to home. And it would be great to have Toothless with me." Hiccup gestured wildly with his arms.

"And Astrid will be there?" Stoick smirked knowingly. Hiccup let out a sigh as he slumped onto the couch. "Son, I get it. She's your best friend. And you've had a crush on her since you were five. But, is she really worth jeopardizing your art career." Hayden glared at his father.

"Yes." He declared plainly.

An awkward silence fell upon them both for a moment or two.

"Dad, you said that it's my decision." Hiccup stated. "This is what I chose."

"I know. I just want you to make the right choice." Stoick explained.

"Oh, I have." Hayden stood from his chair in an attempt to seem confident against his father. "Where she goes, I go."

"Hayden-"

"No!" Stoick was taken back by the sheer volume in his son's voice. "I just got her back. I'm not gonna lose her again. I can't, and I won't!"

"But, why would you-" Stoick was interrupted once again.

"BECAUSE I LOVE HER, OKAY?!" He snapped. He slumped back on his seat and took a deep breath to calm down. "I love her." Toothless made his way over and rested his head in Hiccup's lap.

"I was wondering how long that would take to come out," Stoick admitted.

"You knew?"

"That you and Astrid are dating? And that you have been head over heels in love with her since 1st grade? Yeah." Hiccup was shocked at his father's knowledge of the topic. "I may be getting on in years, but I'm not blind, Son."

"How did you know?" Hayden sighed, curiously.

"Her eyes." He explained. "The way she looks at you... It's the same way your mother used to look at me. The same goes for you."

"So, you're not upset?"

"What?!" Stoick chuckled. " I was hoping for this!"

"Uh, You were?" Hayden wondered.

"Well, as long as you're being careful." Stoick wiggled his eyebrow at his son.

"Oh, Gods. Dad, please don't give me the talk!" He begged.

There were a few minutes of silence before a sleepy Astrid peered into the doorway.

"Hey," Hiccup jumped up. "Couldn't sleep?"

Astrid shook her head gently.

"Did you want a glass of milk?" He offered. "Or come Hot Chocolate?"

She shook her head once again before grasping Hiccup's hand and gently tugging. Stoick fought to stay silent.

Hiccup followed Astrid upstairs to her room and tucked himself in beside her. She curled into him as closely as she could, resting her head against his chest. Hiccup sighed contently as she began tracing gentle circles on his stomach with her finger.

"Hiccup?" She whispered.

Hiccup smiled at the sound of her voice. It was coarse and raspy, but still Astrid. "Yeah?" He gently ran his fingers through her, now free-flowing, hair.

"Did you mean it?" She asked.

"Mean what?" Hiccup wondered.

"What you said downstairs?" She told him, still tracing circles on his abdomen.

"How much did you hear?" He panicked.

"All of it." She admitted. "So... did you mean it?"

"Every word." He smiled. "I love you Astrid Hofferson, with everything I have, and I always will."

Astrid rolled over the top of him, straddling his hips, and gazed up at her auburn-haired boyfriend. Ocean met forest for a brief moment.

"I love you too." She said softly, biting her lip to keep from smiling, as she brushed her fingers through his messy mop of hair.

He pulled her close to him, earning a small squeak of surprise, gently backing himself against the cushions on the bed, angling his face to hers until their lips locked.

At first, the kiss was small, gentle, and very meaningful. But then it grew bigger and more intense. Astrid tasted tentatively with her tongue as she traced it across the bottom of his lip. The caress of her lips seemed much softer this time.

Hayden's hands rested gently on Astrid's hips, while hers explored his body, tracing up and down his chest before slipping beneath his shirt, drawing the warmth from his seemingly smooth skin. His hands slid down, hesitating at the hem of her shirt.

Astrid gasped, backing out of the kiss, grasping his wrist, and slowly leading it away.

Hiccup could see the shame in her eyes. He brought his hand to her cheek, gently tracing the scar across her left eye. She subconsciously leaned into his touch, humming contently.

"It's okay." He reassured. She took a deep breath before leading his hand back down to her hip, gently slipping it beneath her hoodie. His hand rested on a rough piece of skin. He gently traced the scar with his index finger, finding another, and another, and another, finding the beauty in each and every one.

He smiled that goofy lopsided smile that Astrid loved so much.

Astrid chuckled, rolling her eyes, playfully, before sliding her hands back beneath Hiccup's shirt, crashing their lips together once again.

***