3| FINDING DIEGO

─────❝3| FINDING DIEGO❞─────

Losing someone was never easy

Losing someone was never easy. Marina Cuevas never learned how to properly deal with it, she usually did it in the worst way possible known to man—she didn't. She bottled everything up and focused only on what was important: her job.

When she entered the bullpen the next time, new clothes and fresh, clean hands, she was informed of everything that transpired in the last couple of hours. She finally knew Jules was gone and she was never to see her again. She knew Antonio's son, Diego, has been kidnapped by Pulpo's men and they were going to get him back.

"They took Antonio's son. And they took my own, as far as I'm concerned." Voight looked at every single person in the room, all with their game faces on. "Nothing else matters till we get Diego back. Nothing."

A silent conversation happened between Halstead and Lindsay before Jay spoke up. "Sarge... so this all started with Rev and Coop getting their heads chopped off. And both did essentially the same job for Pulpo. Mid-level distribution, right? So we know Pulpo's cleaning house. And what do you do when you get rid of old furniture? You got to bring something new." He held a photograph of a young man, who seems to be associated with the man they currently have in lockdown. "This guy stood out. It's Ernest Milpas. He was running fifteen corners between twenty-second and Kedzie when CPD pinched him in o-nine."

Antonio took the picture from him, the information registering on his brain. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. I was in that bust with Jules."

"He was released last year," Jay informed them. Marina closed her eyes and sighed. This was just one big mess.

"He was a climber."

Marina ran a hand through her hair. "Maybe he's looking to get promoted," she said, looking at Antonio with tired eyes. She was not in her best state right now, but Antonio's son was their priority, she can rest later.

"He's the best of a lot of bad options."

Voight took the picture out of Antonio's hands and looked at Jay. "What do we have on him now?"

Jay stared down at his notes before speaking. "P.O.'s got an address that's a year old." Voight pointed at him in acceptance and pasted the picture of Ernest on the board next to Omar Rojas' one.

After coming up with a plan, Voight pulled Marina aside to talk in private. "Everything okay, Sarge?"

Voight nodded. "I need you to ride with Antonio from now on. And keep an eye on him today. Don't let him get riled up and keep him focused." Marina nodded in understanding and walked out of the office to get her jacket and gun.

"You two with us today," Voight said to two police officers—Burgess and Atwater, their trusty parole officers. The officers nod and follow them, only to be stopped by Commander Perry.