Let Go

Description: My second flash fiction piece, and my shortest one. Don't let the Christian aspect scare you away :)

Let go.

Two simple words right? They could be used in so many different sentences for so many different things. You wouldn't think two words like that could strike fear into my heart.

But they did.

My hands were tightly clenched around a schedule, and beneath it books.  They were white knuckled, and had been for hours. Yet still I held on as if my life depended on it. And I felt as if it did.

My hands were tiring. That made me more afraid, so I gripped all the tighter. I held them against my chest and stared at the Man across the room who'd said the two words that'd struck fear into me.

"No.  I can't let go. I can't."

His gaze was steady. "Why not?" He stepped towards me. "Do you really think those things will save you? They are finite, your need is infinite."

I shook my head. "No. I need them. If I don't have them, it'll all fall apart."

"It's already falling apart. You know it is. And no matter how hard you grip, those things won't be able to help you. You are powerless."

No.   I can't be powerless. I can't. No, I'm not, not with the books and schedule.

"Not with these," I said, readjusting my sweaty grip.

He shook his head. "The schedule cannot control time. And the books cannot control life. Why are you so afraid to let go? Why are you so afraid to give control to Me?" He asked, holding out His hand.

"You are finite. I am infinite. You cannot always see what is good. I am good. You have no control. I am the Creator."

He took another step towards me. "And most importantly, I love you.  I love you enough to die that you might live free from sin. And if I  love you enough to do that, why do you think I don't love you enough to make the best choice for you?"

His voice softened. "Let go, dear one. I promise, it will be okay in the end."

I was still afraid.

But slowly, the books and schedule slid from my hands.

I let go. I put my hand in His. And I knew.

It would be okay.