The Interview

INT. TEENAGE GIRL'S BEDROOM-MORNING

The room is that of a GEN Z's girl's bedroom. A ring light is shown in the corner. On her vanity, a variety of makeup and other things. A laptop computer is open on the floor. Clothes strewn all over the room. The room is a mess, but even more so a mess, is the occupant of the room.

Khari Matthews, age 16, hops around on one foot as she hurriedly puts her jeans on. Her iphone alarm is going off and she falls back on the bed and presses "stop" on the screen of the phone.

The time reads 8:30 am. Funny because her alarm was set for 6:55 am.

Her box braids dangle in her face as she pulls on a hoodie.

KHARI
(rushed)
Shit. Shit. Shit.

She pulls on a pair of VANS and

KHARI
Shit!

CUT TO

EXT. STREET. Cars drive by. Commuters on their way to work and regular everyday people driving along. The day to day of an urban city.

We see KHARI, bookbag slung over her back, phone in her hand. No longer rushing since she's already late. She reaches the corner and sees the crossing guard assigned to that corner pulling off in his car.

KHARI
Shit! I'm already late. Might as well go to the store.
[unlocks phone]
Ain't none of these bitches text me or call me.

She's looking at the group chat she has with three of her friends. The last message was sent the night before at 10:43 pm. It reads "If I fail that test in the morning, I'm blaming that girl"

KHARI
(sends text)
Y'all bitches fired. I'm at the corner store. Mymy tell Dr. Woods I'm going to be late.

KHARI waits for the crosswalk light to give her permission to cross the street and then she does. She jogs across the street and steps into the parking lot of a gas station/convenience store.

She checks her phone and is visibly appalled and shocked that no one has texted her back.

KHARI walks past the gas pumps and to the door of the store. She checks her phone again.

No messages.

KHARI opens the door to the gas station and the alarm sounds, alerting the cashiers to her presence.

They greet her as she walks in.

CASHIER 1
Good morning.

CASHIER 2
Welcome to Circle K.

KHARI
[waves]
Hey. How y'all doing?

She doesn't wait for an answer as she heads back toward the coolers with her phone in her hand.

KHARI
So, ain't nobody go text me back? Wow. Cussing them all out when I get to school.

KHARI grabs a juice and a frozen candy bar from the cooler.
The alarm sounds, indicating a new customer as KHARI closes the door to the cooler.

CASHIER 2
What's up, man?
JAHEEM BURROWS, black, sixteen, air pods in his ear and basketball bag slung over his back, has entered the store.

JAHEEM
What's up.

KHARI looks up, apparently recognizing JAHEEM'S voice. She snatches a bag of TAKIs from the shelf as JAHEEM walks toward the back of the store.

KHARI then looks at her reflection in the convex mirror. She ties her braids in a quick bun on top of her head, not worrying about the stray braids not in the rubberband.