Practice

INT. HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL GYM- AFTERNOON

Through the high windows of the gym, we see a bright and sunny sky. The mood is light. The gym is empty and pensive... silent until it isn't

The gym doors burst open, slamming against the wall. The sound echoes. The sound of a busy hallway and talking teenagers can be heard from outside of the gym.

CRAIG, age 15, black- walks in with a basketball in his hands and song lyrics flowing from his mouth.

JERMAINE, age 15, black- provides the music via his phone for CRAIG. He's carrying a sports drink and an extra pair of shoes.

The boys' mood matches the setting. They are light and excited. Rapping and talking about the day at school.

The door closes behind them and CRAIG turns around and stares at it.

CRAIG
They go trip cause this door not open.

JERMAINE
Then open it back.
[sits on the bleachers and changes his shoes]

CRAIG
[shoots the ball and it swishes through the net]

JERMAINE
[chases after the ball]

CRAIG is seen trying to open the door, but it's stuck.

JERMAINE is dribbling and shadow balling.

CRAIG
This junk stuck, bruh.

JERMAINE
You weak!
[passes CRAIG the ball and runs over to the door]

The two of them pull and push at both doors, but when they don't budge after thirty seconds, they give up.

CRAIG
Let's just play. They need to fix this door.

JERMAINE
Yep.

The boys stretch and talk. They are clearly serious about the sport. When they are done stretching, they do a few warm up drills. They're in the middle of dribble-pass-shoot drills when

CRAIG spins and misses the pass. The ball bounces and is going out of bounds when it flies back toward the boys.

JERMAINE looks at the ball weirdly and watches it fly by him.

CRAIG
Man, they need to clean this floor.

JERMAINE
Hit that Chris Brown spin move on 'em.

CRAIG
[checks his ankle]

JERMAINE
You good?

CRAIG
[jumps up and down]
Yeah. I'm good.

The ball rolls back onto the court. The boys look at it with curosity.

JERMAINE
[picks up the ball]
Let's go.
[dribbles]

CRAIG nods and waits for JERMAINE to shoot.

CRAIG
3 points?

JERMAINE
Around the world.

CRAIG walks and stands under the goal. JERMAINE jogs with the ball to the corner and passes the ball to CRAIG.

As they start a 5 shot per position rotation, the music from JERMAINE'S phone increases and then dies down. Soon all that's heard is the bouncing of the ball, the sound of the ball hitting the backboard, swish, and CRAIG hyping JERMAINE up.

Minutes pass and JERMAINE is now at the top of the key. The lighting in the gym changes and JERMAINE looks toward the high windows. The bright sky is no more and now looks slightly cloudy.

JERMAINE throws the ball in the air and shoots it, but as he releases the ball a scream and the sound of running footsteps echo inside the gym.

He misses badly.