Chapter 17-The End(A.E. pt.1)

A/n:

Warnings: Death, angst, heartbrokenness

Word Count: 1252

Your POV:

As the aircraft took off, the medics set to work on your wounds, the medic in question failed to hold back his gasp when your cut was uncovered. You knew it was bad, but you didn't think it was bad enough to make the trained life flight EMT gasp, it sent you into a whirlwind of worry. You turned to look up at Spencer, seeing that he made the same connection, and was worrying just as you were.

"Distract me." You suggested. He seemed to be in thought for a moment before replying:

"How am I supposed to do that love?" You just smiled in return.

"Do you have any of those random facts?" You asked. He smirked in response, already beginning to list off things he knew off the top of his mind.

"Did you know that the first oranges weren't actually orange? The original oranges from Southeast Asia were a tangerine-pomelo hybrid, and they were actually green. In fact, oranges in warmer regions like Vietnam and Thailand still stay green through maturity. This leads to the question of how oranges were named. They couldn't have been called oranges because they were orange, because they weren't orange. And the color orange couldn't have been derived from the fruit, because oranges weren't orange." You smiled and nodded for him to continue as the medic began poking and prodding at your abdomen to get an idea of what he should do to treat it.

"Did you know that Armadillo shells are bulletproof? Somebody from Texas was actually rushed to the hospital because the bullet ricocheted off the Armadillo and he got shot." You giggled a bit, urging him to continue his ramblings that you love so much, listening attentively to every word that he said.

"Turkey's can actually blush; When turkeys are scared or excited—like when the males see a female they're interested in—the pale skin on their head and neck turns bright red, blue, or white. The flap of skin over their beaks, called a "snood," also reddens."

"The current American flag was designed by a Highschool student. Bob Heft created it for his junior-year history class, and it only earned a B- in 1958. His design had 50 stars even though Alaska and Hawaii weren't states yet. He figured the two would earn statehood soon and showed the government his design. After President Dwight D. Eisenhower called to say his design was approved, Heft's teacher changed his grade to an A."

Spencer continued to tell all these little factoids the rest of the way to the hospital. He made sure that you were okay constantly, and kissed your nose randomly when he was through telling a fact. You were truly happy in this moment, even though you were being treated for a life-threatening infection. Spencer Reid was the light in your life, and you can't believe it took you so long to admit it. You knew the second that he started stuttering a greeting to you on your first day at the BAU that he would end up being an important person in your life, but you had no idea the impact that he would have on it.

Third Person POV:

As soon as the helicopter touched down on the helipad at the hospital, doctors dressed in a variety of shades of blue scrubs rushed around. The first wave of medical professionals took the stretcher you were in, carefully wheeling it inside as quickly as possible. More doctors and nurses crowded around the remaining agents, herding them inside the hospital and treating them for any wounds, supplying them with the fluids they have lacked since the crash.

You were rushed into surgery first thing, and the other agents waited impatiently for any news of your condition, getting hints of nostalgia from when you were in the hospital after your kidnapping.

Hours later, an intern who was in the E.R. with you came to greet the team members in the waiting room, a solemn look on her face. All the attention in the room suddenly sits upon the shoulders of this young woman who watched the doctors do their very best at saving you.

"Y/n, Y/l/n?" She squeaks out, already knowing who was there for the courageous agent by the appearance of the group, the plane crash having gotten a lot of attention in the media. The BAU crowd around her anyways, waiting eagerly for any sort of response.

"I'm afraid the infection is too widely spread. There's nothing more we can do except keep her comfortable for these next few days. She's going to be awake any second." The group are all processing the news, nobody saying a word.

"How long?" Prentiss asks, her voice cracking.

"We're not exactly sure, but 4-5 days at the most. I'm sorry we couldn't do more." Tears slowly inch their way onto everyone's faces, and the doctor scurried away quickly.

"We have to be strong. For her." Spencer Reid is the first to reply to the news, knowing how you would react to the news. There was a murmur of agreement amongst them and they let all their tears come down their freshly cleaned faces, but they were wiped off as quickly as they came.

A few minutes passed and they all composed themselves to the best of their ability before walking to your room.

You were already awake when the huddle of your teammates slowly inched their way into your room. You could see their tear stained faces, and having already gotten the news yourself, you knew why. The last days of your life were going to be spent chained to a hospital bed, nurses and doctors poking and prodding you with needles, machines beeping rhythmically every few seconds, the smell of bleach and other cleaning products. This isn't how you wanted to die, but you could make do. After all, you had your chosen family there with you. What more could you ask for?

The next few days consisted of sleepovers with the team, playdates with Henry and Jack, board games where Spencer always won, sneaking out of your room, Rossi finding and scolding you, Date night with Spencer, plenty of hugs, and enough love to last a life time. As it neared the end of the sixth day, one day past doctor's expectations, the team watched as you took your last breath. The EKG machine flatlined, leaving you with a content smile on your face, your last few days had exceeded all your expectations. Living in a hospital wasn't all that bad when your family lived there with you.

A Week Later:

"You're late pretty boy."
Morgan greets Reid solemnly as he makes his way through the crowds of people, finally making it to his destination, directly to the left of the sleek black casket. He hovered his hand over the wood that contained the remains of his first love, then proceeded to softly lay the bouquet of brightly colored flowers on the middle.
"I can't believe she's really gone. I'm half expecting her to walk around the corner and tell me how much of a dumbass I look in this suit." Reid responds with a half hearted chuckle.
"Are you sure you're ready for this?" Derek asks seriously, patting the younger agent on the shoulder.
"No. I'm not. But I owe it to her to come up here and speak about the incredible person that she was."

The End

A/n:

The happy version is coming up next though, happy heartbreak.