Interlude

IT SMELLS OF COFFEE AND PASTRIES, it's a smell Y/N greets each day with joy. Everytime, she found herself grateful that she had elected to work at the café, seeing as it did have a few added benefits— like a free drink and pastry each time she worked, and the salary. And in Y/N's eyes, baking was a pretty valuable skill, seeing as she couldn't cook without destroying a kitchen. Though she had tried in the past, most of her attempts hadn't really ended well, which is why she stuck with baking.

Of course, it was a tad difficult rushing to the café each day after school, especially since it was on the opposite part of her area, but Y/N had found that the cash she made was worth it. And though the walk home could be considered dangerous— well, with a quirk like hers that wasn't necessarily a huge worry. Although Y/N didn't really enjoy using her quirk for such things seeing as that would likely result in jail.

She actually intended to apply to UA this year, though if she did get in,Y/N wasn't necessarily sure she was prepared to give up her job at the café. She'd made friends with a lot of the employees, and the owners as well. It was a nice, local business, and everyone that worked there was kind(for the most part, sometimes the teasing she recieved was a bit annoying). Most of the regulars were fairly sweet as well. Now that Y/N had switched shifts though, she wasn't necessarily sure what to expect.

Which is why this blond boy had caught her off guard.

"Medium hot chocolate and," he places one of few bags of chips the café sells, onto the counter, "this please." He grumbles out. All the chips are lined up on a small rack, and Y/N can't help but find it a tad odd that he'd selected the spicy variant. Or the fact that he'd selected chips in general seeing as that was odd to pair was with hot chocolate in the first place.

Looking between the chips and him, her brows furrowed temporarily as she said, "odd combination but alright. Your total is $7.02."

The boy looks to her incredulously, and looking at him now Y/N realizes he seems around her age. "Odd? You're odd." Comes his response, tone rather accusatory. It's an elementary insult, and Y/N probably would've laughed at the fact had she not been extremely confused as to why he had even taken offense to her statement. Who has a sweet drink with spicy food? That was just plain abnormal.

"Excuse me?" Y/N asked, watching as he practically glared holes into the cash he placed onto the counter.

Rolling his eyes, the blond looked to her with his eyes narrowed, "aren't you a little young to be working?" His eyes dart around the shop, and Y/N elects not to tell him that her coworkers are currently in the back finishing up some of their more popular pastries as she straightens her posture from behind the counter.

"Aren't you a little old to be drinking hot chocolate?" Granted they were probably the same age and Y/N drank hot chocolate frequently herself, but Y/N was starting to get annoyed. And if he wanted to pester her, why shouldn't she do the same?

Stupid gremlin. The customer is not always right, and Y/N would be damned if she let him believe that.

His mouth gapes open at her words, and she can feel the warm of his hands as she drops the change into the palm of them— his gloves seem to have holes, causing her brows to furrow as he replies, "anyone can have hot chocolate, you heathen."

Y/N is suddenly reminded that the customer is always right before offering him a sarcastic smile and saying, "well, your hot chocolate will be done soon." Picking up one of the cups to her side and grabbing a marker, she goes to write his name only to realize she hadn't asked for one. Meaning she would be forced to interact with the boy again, much to her dismay.

Cursing under her breath Y/N calls out, "hey— hey? Hey blondie!"

The boy has barely made his way to the waiting area of the café, but Y/N is grateful that this isn't one of their busy hours and nobody else is inside as he whips his head around, practically fuming as he asks, "the hell you call me?"