REAL MAGIC

"Well done, Mr. Wilder and Miss Donahue!"

Danny, Merritt, and Henley clapped and cheered for the duo as they approached them from the opposite side of the locked gate. They accepted the congratulations with bright smiles as they undid the chains on the gate.

"You're not kids anymore!" Merritt teased.

Eva rolled her eyes and opened the gate. The other three walked in and pulled out their flashlights to illuminate the dark area. Their celebrations were muted as they crept through the trees and pathways.

"What if all this led to us getting mugged in Central Park at two a.m.?"

Danny shook his head, "No, I'm telling you we're right where we need to be. We just have to find-"

"That?"

They all turned in their heels to face Henley, who had pointed out a large tree in the center of the pathway. There was a hole in its trunk with a card encased in glass.

Eva shined her light on the bench in front of it, "The Lionel Shrike Tree."

They all clustered together in awe and stared at the famous magician's trick. They were all familiar with the man's work, seeing as it was basically legendary.

"What do we do now?" Merritt asked.

Henley pulled out her tarot card from her back pocket. She gestured for everyone to do the same. They followed her lead and stacked their cards on top of one another. Together, they melded into one card that depicted an eye.

"Cool," Eva whispered.

Henley waved the card over Shrike's glass case. As she did, the card in the glass began to glow. There was a mutual feeling of awe and curiosity that washed over all five of them.

That only grew when the lights to the park's carousel turned on and began running. The ride began to spin and festive music echoed through the empty landscape.

Eva was the first to move. She excitedly snatched Jack's hand and pulled him forward. They both laughed as they jogged towards the carousel. Merritt, Henley, and Danny followed after them at a slower pace.

Since Jack and Eva were the first to arrive, they had more time to process the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. But it was not the treasure they expected.

Their jog faltered and eventually stopped a mere five feet away from the one and only, Agent Dylan Rhodes.

Once the others joined them, they all donned the same look of confusion and disbelief.

"You're kidding," Eva scoffed.

"I did not see that coming," Merritt added.

Danny tried his best to hide his shock.

"That was actually pretty good. So when I said always be the smartest guy in the room-"

"We were in agreement," Dylan finished. He gave a nod of respect towards Danny before turning to the red haired woman next to him.

"I've never seen her speechless," Danny commented upon seeing her shift in place with her mouth open.

"I take that as a huge compliment."

Henley awkwardly chuckled and shook his hand.

"Hey, man, I'm so sorry for kicking your ass," Jack apologized. He looked completely and utterly shocked and inspired. It looked as if tears of admiration were about to break through.

Eva laughed lightly, which made Dylan turn his attention towards her.

"You're quite unpredictable, Eva. Even when you were following the plan, I still felt like I didn't know what you would do next."

She blushed and bowed her head slightly, showing an unnatural display of shyness.

"That's her personality," Merritt commented.

Danny nodded and shrugged, "Very difficult to get use to."

Eva scoffed and playfully glared at Danny. But he simply held up his hands in surrender.

"Hey, listen, for the record," Merritt began, "I have always been a one hundred percent believer."

Eva tried to delivery a witty retort but Merritt slapped a hand over her mouth to shut her up before she could ruin his redemption.

"And the amount of energy I have expended to keep these infidels on point-"

Dylan stopped him with an exasperated smile, "Meritt, you're in."

Eva rolled her eyes and pushed the man's hand away as he stopped his pleads and thanked the agent. Eva punched him in the arm lightly before letting Dylan lead them into the carousel.

"The real magic is taking four strong solo acts and making them all work together," he stated, "And that's exactly what you did...so welcome."

He opened the gate to access the ride and stepped in. He faced them all with a mischievous grin.

"Welcome to the Eye."

He reached behind him and grabbed onto one of the carousel's poles. They watched carefully as he was spun around and out of sight.

Eva glanced to her right and clutched Jack's hand, "Ready for another adventure?"

He locked eyes with her and grinned, "What are we waiting for?"

He moved her forward and grabbed onto the carousel. As he jumped up, he pulled Eva up with him. He captured her by the waist and held on tight as they spun.

Eva laughed and leaned into him for balance. But as she got closer, their faces seemed to attract each other. Jack pulled her in for a long awaited kiss.

She hugged him back, feeling the strongest she'd ever felt because she knew it was real and not just some illusion. Knowing that one year ago she'd felt alone but now she wasn't.

The Five Horsemen made a change in herself and the world. They started as strangers and became a family...and that's the real magic.

So look close.

Look as close as possible.

Because the closer you look...

-----