7 - open up

Meredith's perspective

...

1 week later

...

"Grey, I would like you to pick one of your residents to work on this case with you."

Dr. Bailey told her as soon as Meredith had entered her office. She handed her a file and just at reading the name she already knew which patient this was about.

A few days ago Mr. Smith had come into the hospital. He was doing worse every day, but all the labs and tests they ran only gave them more questions. It didn't make any sense and they were running out of time.

"I would like to work with Dr. DeLuca, if this is possible?" Meredith looked up from the file.

"Dr. DeLuca?" She saw Bailey frowning slightly.

"Yes. Is there a problem?"

"No. I'm just surprised. He's here for barely a month now. I didn't think you would choose him."

"He's a good resident. He knows how to look for details. He often notices small things." She almost felt a small smile forming on her lips while talking about him.

"I'm glad to hear that." Bailey smiled at her and then turned around to go to her desk to sit down "He'll be on your service then. And keep me updated." She added as Meredith was already on her way out again.

"Of course." She answered, turning around one more time before she got on her way to find DeLuca.

...

She didn't have to look for him for long. As she passed the nurses' station she saw him filling out some paperwork and then handed it back to the nurse.

And as she approached him, he already turned towards her, seeming like he had been looking for her as well.

"Dr. Grey. Uhm, do you have a minute?" He asked her, and just by the way he looked at her, she could see that this wasn't necessarily only work related. He seemed nervous.

"Yeah, is everything okay?" She asked slightly worried at his expression, while she took a few steps away from the nurses' station, so they would have a little more privacy.

"I- yeah. I just- I wanted to thank you for last week..." He started sincerely, slowly trailing off, slightly looking down as if he was embarrassed by what had happened.

She gave him a small encouraging smile, trying to find his eyes, making a small smile appear on his lips as well.

"Did it happen before...?" Meredith started slowly. "I'm sorry, it's none of my business." She added, when she saw that she took him off guard with her question.

"I- It's-" He tried to answer, taking a deep breath before he tried again "It's okay. I- yes. I used to get them more often... but it had gotten less over the past few months." He continued a little hesitantly, as if he was trying to figure out which words to use "The chief, Dr.Bailey, knows about it. She is actually the only one who knows about it, besides Carina. And now you." He ended with a slight smile, which she returned.

"Is this why you transferred here?" She asked curiously, somehow wanting to know more, to maybe be able to help him with this; something that still seemed to be hard for him.

"In parts." He sighed before he added, looking up at her "There was a lot that made me transfer."

"Do you want to talk about it?" She asked carefully, not wanting to push him too far, but at least wanting to offer the option.

"I don't think I do."

"Okay." She gave him a small smile before she added "But are you feeling okay?"

"Yes." He assured her.

"Good." She gave him another small sympathetic smile, looking at him for another moment, before she added "Because you are back on my service until we figure out what's wrong with Mr. Smith."

"What?" He looked at her surprised, definitely not having expected that.

"I would like to have you on this case. We'll need to do a lot of research and we won't leave until we figure out what is wrong with him."

"You still want me to be on your service?" He asked, still looking surprised at her, not quite able to believe her.

"Of course. You're the best resident we have. We'll meet in Mr. Smith room in ten minutes."

"Thank you."

She was already on her way when she turned around one more time.

"Andrew? I'm glad you're feeling better again."

...

open up / ˈō-pən ˈəp / verb
to make plain or visible; to become communicative

to open up to someone
_______________

<3