goodbyes

you spent the last week in [state] packing and making final visits to friends and family in the area.

you met up with reid and talked with him seriously for once over your last bowl of ramen at the restaurant. he teared up a little, excusing himself from the table several times.

it was emotional for him to say the least.

you visited your extended family in the area, trading hugs and kisses and receiving wishes of luck. if you were being completely honest, it was unpleasantly overwhelming.

and of course, you spent almost everyday with thea, whether it was going out or just on the phone. if it weren't for them, you procrastinated packing until the night before your flight.

time flew and the days blurred together. before you knew it, the night of your departure arrived. your family was headed to the airport, mixed feelings lingering in the air. excitement, anxiety, sadness. you were experiencing all three.

'i forgot to text mikasa.'

-
imessage

y/n
hey
don't contact me for the next couple of days

mikasa
what
y
did smt happen

y/n
no i'm just going on vacation so i'll be on a plane
and i'll be switching sim cards so wait for me to text u

mikasa
the audacity you have to go on vacation and not come to japan

little did she know.

y/n
ikr 😔
and to think that if i were flying to japan right now, i could meet you in a days' time

it took everything in you to keep your mouth shut.
hell, you still couldn't believe that 14 hours was the only thing standing in your way.

mikasa
ur parents grew up in japan right?
that means theyll wanna visit at some point
when do u think theyll wanna come

y/n
eager to meet me huh
if i'm being honest, maybe next summer

you were in fact, not being honest.

mikasa
that's too long
and yes i wanna meet u
i miss u and i've never even met u

y/n
i rly wanna meet u too
just wait a little

mikasa
a year is not a little
where r u going

y/n
uhhhhhhh
i'm actually abt to board rn
gtg!!

mikasa
what
no
come back here
couldn't even tell me where ur going
asshole

you snickered at one particular message of hers.

'couldn't even tell me where ur going'

no.
you'd rather show her.

********************

you boarded the plane with your family and got comfortable. it would be a long ass ride and you watched a couple of movies. the food was dog shit but that was to be expected.

the view from the plane's window was pretty. plane rides at nighttime were always something to look forward to. but you couldn't even focus on that right now. your mind didn't allow you to bask in the serenity of the quiet and dark of the sky. all you could think about was mikasa.

how would you surprise her? where? when? what are you going to say? you estimated that you wouldn't be able to see her until at least 3 days after you landed. the first day was to meet the person you and your brother would be staying with for the duration of the move and unpack, second day was reserved for traveling with the family, and you could try and meet mikasa on the third day, but you didn't want to have to explain to your parents that you had been talking to a random stranger online for around 5 months.

why does this have to be so fucking complicated?

you also knew that if you were to surprise her, you wouldn't be able to do it by yourself. even though it's risky, you'd probably have to let someone else help you. armin was your best bet. he's one of the two people closest to mikasa and you were good friends with him too. but the question was whether or not he would be able to keep his mouth shut and remain unsuspicious. he's trustworthy, you could tell that much, but he also did spill a lot more about his friends than he would've liked over your facetime calls.

you tried to get some sleep. your body was aching for you to sleep. your eyes pleaded for rest. but your brain wouldn't stop.

'you bastard. the one time i need you to shut down. where were you for all those tests, huh? traitor.'

luckily, you soon fell asleep while listening to music and the next time you opened your eyes, lo and behold, you were in japan.