Chapter Seven

Timewalkers and magical rings had completely invaded Caleb's thoughts by the middle of his English class, which was how he completely disengaged from the lecture on some old novel and was now searching for information on his desktop. He found nothing at all conclusive, and an annoyed itch settled over Caleb's curious brain. He'd just shut it all down when the digital note slid onto his desk. Caleb was sure it had come from Bryce, but its contents gave him pause: Excuse yourself for the restroom, and meet me at the restaurant next door. It was signed with two distinct cursive letters: RJ. Caleb's heart raced, sending dizzying pulses to his brain.

Caleb wiped the message and data cache clear before standing. Historian Claire never cared when students left for the restroom in class, but he was sure this meeting would go slightly longer than the average trip two doors down. He shut the classroom door behind him and skittered to the stairs. He was down them and outside in a few short seconds.

The only restaurant near the school was a casual Vietnamese diner. He'd never been. It was on the more expensive side, having actual, living people to take orders. Most establishments had automated systems nowadays. People were a luxury out of date.

Caleb darted across the street and into the restaurant. It was simple to find Rhea. Regal and bedecked in a head scarf with florid designs and a pair of dark sunglasses, she seemed drawn from a bygone age and was unafraid of the attention she drew. Her kind smile beckoned Caleb to her table in the direct center of the small dining room.

"Hello," Caleb said, a nervous tremor in his throat.

Rhea allowed a woman to pour Caleb a cup of water before replying. "I realized we needed to discuss a few more things related to yesterday's meeting."

"We do?" Caleb folded his hands in his lap, reconsidered, and placed them on the table instead.

"We do," Rhea said. She bowed her head as the woman returned with two bowls of steaming broth. "I took the liberty of ordering for you. I'm sure you've had pho before."

"I haven't," Caleb said, scratching one thumb along the ragged cuticle of the other.

Rhea's face lit up, and Caleb somehow felt warmed by her delight. "It's delicious. I'm sure you'll enjoy it." She lifted a pair of chopsticks and placed them between her fingertips. Stirring the broth lightly, she cleared her throat.

Caleb squirmed in his seat. She didn't say anything for the longest while, maintaining a regality which left Caleb awkward and stiff. No more than a minute could have passed in silence, but Caleb squirmed in his chair, and he knew she'd been testing his patience. Rhea hadn't even glanced at him, and Caleb couldn't have asked a question for fear she would simply disappear on the spot.

When she did speak, the entire world halted around them. The dull roar of the restaurant fell instantly silent. Caleb's heart jolted but kept beating. Rhea made no comment as to why the Vietnamese man next to their table had frozen with his spoon inches from his mouth, the dripping broth halfway between the bowl and spoon. "You cannot search for the Timewalkers."

"What's happening?" Caleb shook his head, wondering for the fourth time in a day whether he'd gone insane.

"We needed to talk," Rhea said. "I won't say anything else unless you agree to what I just said."

Caleb, who was too curious, nodded his head. "How did you do that?"

Rhea's lips lifted over her teeth, the red of her lipstick untouched despite the soup she'd eaten. "I'm an extremely powerful Timewalker, and I can hold it in my hands." She splayed her hands out in front of her, empty.