Chapter Twenty-Four

Jason Rivers' popularity was unrivaled. Whether esteem dictated it, or simple stupidity, his Halloween parties were events not to be missed. Having begun as innocent, costume-themed gatherings in the sixth grade, time and puberty had escalated them into over-the-top revelries known for heavy drinking and other iniquitous actions. One thing hadn't changed: To attend, one must dress up.

Danielle had planned to spend her Friday evening watching the newest episode of The Vampire Diaries, but Caitlyn had other plans. Though only a week had passed since their coffee date, their relationship had been a little but less...strained. Today, Caitlyn found Danielle after school rummaging in their locker and bumped her hip. Danielle, who hadn't been expecting the move, despite years of this exact thing happening, was pushed out of the way, and Caitlyn had full access to her shelves

"Jason was asking about you last period," she said with a lascivious grin that made Danielle's skin crawl.

"Oh, he was?" Danielle would play Caitlyn's game.

"Why wouldn't he?" Caitlyn leaned closer to the mirror inside the locker, so she could play with her ghastly black hair. Normally blonde, Caitlyn had recently dyed her hair for the school's production of Addams' Family, in which she was going to be playing Wednesday. Danielle had heard from everyone how great a Wednesday Caitlyn would make, but she secretly wished Alana Rogers had gotten the part—if only to deflate Caitlyn's already bolstered ego.

Danielle shrugged, trying to find a place for her AP Government textbook to fit--it wouldn't, so she would have to carry it to the car. "I dunno, I'm hot." She was joking, but Caitlyn grinned widely.

"Exactly!So, do you want to know whyhe was asking about you?" Caitlyn followed Danielle down the hallway. They easily dodged around freshman who still looked frazzled, even though they'd been here for almost two full months. Danielle felt bad for them, because she could still remember the anxiety of five minute passing periods and hefty seniors and a school that made no sense.

"Why was he asking about me?" she said. They passed Ezra Schiller, Danielle's ex-boyfriend; he waved as if they were friendly, and Danielle made it a point to not make eye contact. Caitlyn must not have noticed Ezra, because she continued on her slow reveal of Jason Rivers' intentions as they descended the stairs to the Commons.

"Okay, so."

"So," Danielle replied. She and her friend stepped through the front doors of the school and into the weak, overcast light of the afternoon. The last vestiges of summer had passed, and now Oregon was officially descending into a months long stint of gloom.

"You know how he has RiverScare every year on the 25th?" Caitlyn walked around a large pillar and met Danielle on the other side.

"Yeah," Danielle said. She glanced at Caitlyn's ebony hair bouncing beside her.

"And you know how today's October 25th?"

Danielle rolled her eyes, half between good natured fun and annoyance. "I'm aware. And no, I won't be going." Danielle had been roped into going to RiverScare every year, and for the first time Danielle was poised to refuse.

Caitlyn groaned. "No, Danielle, you have to wait until I actually tell you what he said."

"Fine." Danielle unlocked her car, and Caitlyn slid into the passenger seat with the ease of someone who'd spent many hours in it.

"So he was saying, that if you showed up, he'd really like to talk to you."

Danielle cranked the ignition, set the car in reverse, and started to back out. "That's it?"