Chapter Twenty-Eight

Dreams shrouded in an ethereal, murky mist, Caleb was able to make out make out Danielle's figure in the dark cave. He was aware of something else too. A humanoid beast, black as tar and oozing swirling shadows, crept up behind the girl. As Danielle moved closer to him, so, too, did the beast. Inky clouds poured off the being, a thick goo like saliva before a meal. Danielle touched Caleb, but before all faded, Caleb saw the beast's claws, slicing with a sinister speed

 It missed.

The lancing pain of his ring yanked him from sleep. Caleb's screams were those one one burned alive, unceasing as the pain shattered him. Alexander slammed into the room. "What's wrong?" His eyes were delirious, his voice thick from sleep. Flicking on the light, he looked to Caleb, who was curled into a ball. His right hand was clutched close to his chest.

With quiet surety, Alexander bent at Caleb's side and ran a hand over Caleb's head. Caleb whimpered as Alexander wiped sweat away. "Caleb," Alexander said sternly. "I can't help you if you don't talk to me."

"The--ring," he managed. Caleb's right hand was trembling, his breaths came in ragged gasps.

Caleb's eyes were screwed shut, but even through the dreadful agony, he knew that Alexander had Hopped. The experience was akin to swinging with eyes closed; the world grew dizzy and Caleb's stomach somersaulted. They landed on a manicured, grassy hill where birds twittered in cool, morning air. Caleb lifted his eyes, squinting against the sunlight, and looked down on the James Estate.

"Why—" he grunted against another nauseating wave of discomfort "—are we here?"

Kneeling at Caleb's side, Alexander spoke in a soft, almost apologetic, tone. "I can manage Ringlock. This...whatever is happening isn't Ringlock, and Rhea's our only resource." With a grunt, Alexander scooped Caleb off the grass. "She already knows about Danielle. IF she doesn't ask, don't share. If she does...lie."

Caleb nodded, but the motion was too much for his exhausted body. Stars swam through his vision. Soon they were at the front door, Alexander red-faced and sweating under Caleb's nearly dead weight.

Titus answered, and Caleb was only mildly embarrassed, but Titus didn't seem to care. "I'll go get my mom," he said, bolting into the house.

"I thought the rings could only take you to the moment you left," Caleb muttered. "The last time we were here was when you picked me up..."

Alexander wriggled his fingers against Caleb's thigh. "Restrictions on the rings were implemented for a reason—on newer models."

Moments later, Rhea James appeared at the top of the staircase. Though ascending with speed, she didn't seem to lose any of her supernatural poise. With a wave, she motioned to Alexander. "I'll have you follow me." The words were careful, beckoning without inviting.

Alexander stepped inside the Estate and left the door wide open as he followed Rhea down the hallway. Though Caleb knew Alexander was tiring from carrying him, Caleb couldn't walk by himself.

Alexander's footfalls thumped against the marble but deadened once he'd stepped onto plush carpet and walked down the hallway identical to the one they'd gone down on Caleb's first visit to the Estate. Rhea led them to an office, large and well-kept. A wicked pulse of his ring staved off any question Caleb had.

Lights flickered on and Rhea leaned against her desk. Her gaze, imperious and authoritative though it was, held no malice. Alexander set Caleb in one of the chairs facing Rhea. "I was about to come see you," she said. Then, extending her own hand, said, "May I?"

Caleb capitulated, setting his right hand in hers. The glowing, comfortable light of the office glinted off the golden band. "Ringlock," she muttered to no one in particular. "I might say it is good to see you, but under the circumstances..." She let Caleb's hand fall with a rueful smile and looked to Alexander.