Chapter 24: An Idiot I Can't Hate: Part Two

More and more time moved forward, and with it the progress of the fight club. Each day, Ryuko would face a new club, and with its defeat the fight clubs status would be moved even higher. It wasn't long until Mako requested an improved standard of living, which was shortly accepted.

Now they had become 2-stars, and moved into the highest residential area in Honnō City. Giant mansions loomed ominously, stacked atop each other like bricks in sectioned off squares . Much to Y/N's displeasure, he had been requested (though he would more describe it as forced) to move in with the Mankanshoku family, as Mako believed that he could no longer stay any distance from her.

Y/N hated this new lifestyle. The rooms inside were almost chemically clean, and sparkled white, yet they lacked anything that could resemble a homely atmosphere, as if the very soul had been sucked from them, leaving nothing but an empty shell.

Places like this were always uncomfortable for him. It never felt safe to do anything, like the mere act of existing dirtied the pristine home.

And then there was the family. Their eyes once sparkled with life and happiness, but now dulled, as if their very lives had lost any sense of joy they once felt. The once expressive group now wore nothing but neutral faces, as they gazed upon everything with a complete lack of emotion.

Currently, everyone other than Mako was eating dinner. It was completely quiet, until Barazo stood up to leave. "I'll be leaving. I have a doctors association meeting to attend." "I see" Sukuyo said. "Would it be alright if I bought that diamond necklace I showed you the other day?" "Sure. It looked very pretty on you." Barazo said, not a hint of love in his voice. They both left, and soon after were followed by Mataro, leaving the dining room empty, save for Ryuko and Y/N.

Both remained silent, not really sure what to say, until Mako finally arrived. Even she had been touched by this new lifestyle, her once hyper and excited personality now replaced by a cold, business like aura. "Sorry, the meeting ran a little late-Huh? Where'd everyone go?" Ryuko looked up to her, a hint of sadness in her voice. "I guess they all had other things to do." "I get that," Mako said, sitting down. "Well, let's see. Ryuko, after you finish eating, head to the gym and do some training, I've got a full day booked for tomorrow, and the day after. Y/N, I've got some paperwork for you to handle, then there's some forms about the defeated clubs for you." Both Ryuko and Y/N sighed, as Mako leaned back in her chair.

"This sure is the life, huh? A huge mansion, all this stuff. We're living the life of luxury for sure. Everyone's so happy now, so let's work to keep it that way!" Y/N looked up at her, narrowing his eyes. "Happy, huh...."
Ryuko simply nodded. "Welp, I'm off to bed. Goodnight." Mako said, standing up to leave. "Night." Both Ryuko and Y/N responded, quietly. And once again, the room filled with silence.

"This isn't right." Y/N said, pushing his plate away in disgust. Ryuko turned to him, letting out a questioning "hmm?" "They've changed, Ryuko. The whole family, it's like a different bunch of people. I can hardly recognize Mako these days. She used to be so....happy." Y/N slumps his shoulders slightly, saddened. "I used to see light in her eyes, she was determined to make life better for us all. Now all I see in them is greed." Ryuko nodded. She too, was sad to see what had become of them, but she couldn't just quit, right?

Senketsu looked up at her. "He isn't wrong, Ryuko. This can't be what you wanted." She sighed. "It's not. But what can we do?" Without missing a beat, Y/N responded. "We quit." Ryuko's eyes widened. "We can't just quit! They'd lose everything they earned!" Y/N gives her a determined look. "Ryuko, be honest with me. You see how they've changed, just as well as I do. This can't be what's good for them. We can help them, we just have to take the first steps." Ryuko was silent for a moment, thinking. Soon, she looked towards him, and slowly nodded.