Chapter 38: For The Time We Have Left

Everyone was transported back to the present before they steadied themselves, all back in their original circle formation. 

"Did we get 'em all?" Banner asked. Everyone's nanotech suits disappeared. 

"Are you telling me this actually worked?" Rhodes asked with a smile. Everyone shared his smile before their heads spun around to face Clint as he fell to his knees. 

"Clint, where's Nat?" Banner asked. It seemed as though the colour from his face was drained when Clint didn't answer him. Banner shook his head, as if saying "well?", as he still wanted an answer. Clint looked to Steve, who stood next to Banner, and Steve looked down as he knew what Clint was trying to say. Banner's breath sped up before he too fell to his knees and punched the flooring of the 'Time Machine'. 

~

Everyone separated throughout the large building. Tony, Steve, Clint, Banner and Thor all stood on the dock and debated whether it was possible to get Nat back, as well as mourning their loss. Everyone else gave them space as they were the ones who took her loss the hardest. 

~

(Y/N) and Rocket stayed on the Milano. It was the only place where they truly felt was theirs during their current time on Earth. Rocket sat in the cockpit and stared out the front window, unsure of what to think. It was all too much. He then heard loud angry grunts from a lower part of the Milano. He sighed as he knew who it was and what they were doing. 

Rocket nodded then jumped off the seat and speed-walked to the room he knew (Y/N) was in. It was one of the bottom rooms in the ship. He walked down a set of stairs and immediately noticed his girlfriend who was a sweaty mess as she punched a punching bag repeatedly. She wore a (F/C) sports bra and tight (F/C) shorts. If it were completely different situation, Rocket would've complimented on how attractive (Y/N) looked in this state, without hesitation. But he knew it was definitely not the time. 

(Y/N) hadn't noticed Rocket's arrival and thus continued to punch and kick the punching bag even harder than before. Rocket stood back, leaned against a wall and simply watched (Y/N)'s rage be released. This went on for another 30 seconds or so before (Y/N) stopped and froze. Once it fully registered that she couldn't destroy the punching bag with simple kicks and punches, she walked over to the other side of the gym, grabbed her gun and blasted the bag until the bottom half fell to the floor. 

"GODDAMMIT!" She screamed and as she threw her gun back to where she picked it up. Only then was when she noticed Rocket, who still leaned against the wall. "Sorry." She apologised in her normal tone. Rocket just smiled warmly. 

"Don't be. This is how you let off steam." Rocket noted. He walked over to (Y/N) as she untied white bandages from around her wrists, palms and fingers. "For me, it's making bombs and other weapons to destroy things. For you? It is destroying things." Rocket smirked. (Y/N) rolled her eyes and smirked back as she placed the bandage wrappings on the ground and put on a shirt. "You okay?" Rocket asked, now serious. 

"...No." (Y/N) sighed. The answer was obvious. Rocket gave a sad smile as (Y/N) sat on the floor with her wings drooped behind her. "...Why are we losing so many people?" She whispered. Of course, she didn't expect an answer. But she needed to ask the question. 

"I don't know." That was Rocket's answer. "But as long as I don't lose you-" He placed his hand on (Y/N) cheek. She looked him in the eye. "-I don't care what happens." He admitted. (Y/N) put her hand on top of his. 

"Don't jinx it." She joked. Rocket chuckled. 

"That's true." He nodded as he took a step back. "But just in case..." Rocket took a quick breath. He knew he was ready, and he wasn't going to chicken out. He knelt on one knee and reached into his back pocket. (Y/N) gasped silently. In his hand, Rocket held a beautiful ring with a gorgeous (F/C) crystal on top. "I've been wanting to ask for a while now. I just never knew when. But after Nat... I realised that we may not have much time left. Who knows what'll happen? So, I wanted to ask you... will you be my kickass wife and travel the galaxy with me? Killing bad guys, making bombs, for as much time as we have left, together?" 

(Y/N) laughed at Rocket's own version of "will you marry me?". She smiled and nodded. "I'd love nothing more." Tears filled both their eyes as Rocket slipped the ring onto (Y/N)'s left ring finger. They held each other close as they kissed lovingly. Their tears of happiness fell before they parted. 

"I love you so much, (Y/N)." Rocket said as he now had both hands on either side of (Y/N)'s face. (Y/N) put her hands over his. 

"I love you too, Rocket." She replied warmly as another kissed commenced, more passionate than the last.