Chapter 3: Bright Dreams

"What was that about?" Jessica asked bluntly after she slid her short but shapely legs into the driver's seat. Mia would pick up her car the next day. She didn't think she was tipsy, but it wasn't worth the risk.

"I don't know!" Mia's cheeks were burning. Her thoughts briefly flitted to the pale palette of Krystal, whose face turned the color of tomatoes when nervous or embarrassed, and she was glad of her melanin.

"This is so weird. You are acting like a school girl."

"I am a school girl!"

Jessica glanced at Mia peripherally as she turned on the main road. Mia rolled down the window, and the tepid night air streamed in. She pulled my hair up with a ponytail holder and luxuriated in the feel of air cooling the sweat at the back of her neck. She had let my hair down for the party. Her hair had always been a pride of her mother's, who used to brush the thick black strands and say that it gleamed like wet coal. When Mia wears it down, which she did sparingly, she looked fierce and striking. It was just so bloody uncomfortable.

Jessica pursed her lips thoughtfully. "I have never seen you like this. He's good looking. I'll give you that."

Mia snorted. "That's pretty hard to deny. I just hope he's not a jerk." Cynically, she added, "He probably is a jerk. Guys who look like that know it."

"Well, Alex is good looking, and he's got a good heart."

"Right. He's also a man-slut who has hooked up with half the girls in the school."

"Can't deny that."

Mia turned a little desperately to Jessica, knowing all the while that she was being silly, "Don't tell anyone about this. Not even Alex. He'll just tease me mercilessly."

Jessica looked at Mia contemptuously in that way only she could. Her left eyebrow cocked up infinitesimally, barely noticeable, except it transformed her whole face into a mask of sophisticated disdain. That expression had in the past stopped debates and arguments, shaming the opponent into silence. "Duh. Though I don't think you will be able to hide it from Alex. Your face is like an open book. Well...for those who know you anyway."

Mia lapsed into silence, but she was too antsy to go home and go to sleep. She cracked her fingers, her joints popping over the soft murmur of the engine. Mia's body was rigid with tension, and she felt the need to exercise, the need to push her body to the limits of exhaustion. Otherwise, she would lay awake in bed the whole night, over analyzing every aspect of her encounter with Liam. Even now, Liam's intense, intelligent green eyes dominated her thoughts.

Mia turned to Jessica. Her friend's profile was relaxed as she maneuvered the car through the dark forest-lined streets. Occasionally a cicada's song pierced the rumblings of the car and the gentle whistle of the wind. Otherwise, everything was quiet, peaceful. Mia pondered a bit and made up her mind, "Let's go to the Beach." The Beach was a small alcove at Lake Thomas, the man-made local watering hole.

Mia cracked her fingers and felt a little bad. She knew Jessica would really like to go home and sleep soundly for the next eight hours. Yet Mia knew she would get her way in the end. Mia was in one of her moods, and she wouldn't give up until people did what she wanted. Jessica had suffered quite a few times engaging in schemes that Mia had concocted when these strange moods captured her. The last time was when they stole Mia's mom's car before either of them had licenses to go to the Florence + the Machine concert. Jessica was grounded for a month for that one. Mia did not fare much better.